Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Treats for taming?  (Read 1115 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Treats for taming?
« on: June 08, 2023, 07:20:32 am »
Ok so I've got my starter flock of Badger face sheep but their a little bit skittish as I think on their previous farm they've been able to free range out on the hills a bit more, so ideally just to be able to handle them a bit more especially with the tup & his horns we we're hoping to get them to come to the bucket a bit. They don't really need anything else than grass at the moment - even our other ewes & lambs are just on grass at the moment, but is there  any veg or sheep mix I can put them on that their not going to get too fat on or anything for the breeding season? I'm not thinking much just a handful or 2 each day. ???

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Treats for taming?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 09:24:09 am »
We feed ours carrots for treats. Our sheep will take them from the hand - we hold a whole carrot firmly and they nibble bits off. All bar a couple of our sheep were very nervous when they first came (bought in as newly weaned young lambs) but we've spent a lot of time just sitting quietly with them and now almost all of them are silly tame. Be patient and take your time with them and  they will soon become calmer and tamer. We used to use food as a bribe to move them between paddocks but now just call them through, not even a bucket required.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 12:09:49 am »
Coarse mix such as Carr's Champion Tup, just a little, is a good taming mix. It rattles well in the bucket and is relatively low in protein.  More fattening but useful if you ever have a sick sheep is a Digestive biscuit, offer 1\8th of a biscuit at a time. At first you might have to push them in the side of the mouth between the front and the back teeth, but once they discover the crunch they'll run to the rustle of the packet across the field.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 06:43:06 am »
Oatcakes, as a healthy substiute for Digestives. Ours loved them.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 08:09:20 am »
Another option is grass pellets. Dengie do one and your local agri store may have its own brand.  Contains nothing but grass (and a bit of oil to bind), so doesn't disrupt the rumen at all. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 11:20:49 pm »
Ta we’re probably going to put some flystrike preventative on them & our other breeding tups at the weekend. So it’s just easier to do them all at once, if we do it on Sunday they’ll also be out of the quarantine period. But we have no plans to mix the ewes & try & keep it as a closed flock when I’ve managed to get a few more ewes. 

But he’s going to have to after Sunday go in with either the other tups or in with some wether lambs when we wean them at the end of the month, apparently he’s been fine with his previous owners polled breeds of tups but any tips for introducing himself to the other boys?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 05:09:44 pm »
Did you mean to put this on "treats for taming"?  Cos it seems not to follow on for me - and teaching tups to expect hand-fed treats is very much *not* recommended!

Mixing tups...

1.  Do not mix horned and polled.  Full stop, period.  Just don't do it.  (Somebody will tell you how to do it I expect but I was told this, then our Swale jumped a wall to get with the BFLs, and one of our best BFLs lay dead within minutes.  So now I pass on the advice and the cautionary tale to go with it.)

2.  Pen the tups tightly together so they've very little room to move, can't get a run up so can't really damage each other.  *Let them get used to each others smell for half an hour to an hour, then give them a little bit more space (and keep watch to be sure nothing is kicking off.)  Repeat from * until confident they can go out together.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 10:02:48 pm »
Regarding tups, would you do this with a new tup meeting a herd? We’ve just own wether to keep him company (thus far) when we need to separate them, but now pondering introductions.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 12:32:11 am »
Don't usually have problems with a single tup meeting wethers.  The tup will be boss of the wethers, it won't take him long to show them that, and they won't argue with him. 

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2023, 09:29:08 pm »
Did you mean to put this on "treats for taming"?  Cos it seems not to follow on for me - and teaching tups to expect hand-fed treats is very much *not* recommended!

Mixing tups...

1.  Do not mix horned and polled.  Full stop, period.  Just don't do it.  (Somebody will tell you how to do it I expect but I was told this, then our Swale jumped a wall to get with the BFLs, and one of our best BFLs lay dead within minutes.  So now I pass on the advice and the cautionary tale to go with it.)

2.  Pen the tups tightly together so they've very little room to move, can't get a run up so can't really damage each other.  *Let them get used to each others smell for half an hour to an hour, then give them a little bit more space (and keep watch to be sure nothing is kicking off.)  Repeat from * until confident they can go out together.

Yikes, re your tup!

My 2, Triplet (Dorset Down) and Cyril (Bleu Du Maine) lived quite happily with BiL's Thomas (Lleyn). All come to bucket, never fought, even jumped a wall at my dad's to get to his lawn, (well, Cyril & Tom did, Triplet was too fat and too short so dad opened the gate to let him mix with the others, only to yell at him when Triplet charged for his reflection in the French Window!)

BiL sheared them there, one after the other. STILL to this day I can hear my dad telling me to get between them as without their fleeces they looked different to each other and were charging one another! Told him he was bloody stupid, think BiL said something a bit more polite!

They calmed down but it really made me think. (During 2001 actually had to use a cattle prodder on a Texel tup as I couldn't get away from him, I phoned for mum who came to my assistance, I was in middle of field and holding him away from me as much as I could. A few sharp shocks and he backed off. Contacted vet and he made a few phone calls as it was in middle of foot & mouth saga! New owners turned up and took him immediately as we asked vet to come out and shoot!)

My 2 tups were friendly, I reared Triplet and consider myself lucky with his temperament but am aware some .........yikes! Even the ones I've borrowed over the years, the temperaments have been excellent though BiL didn't bother like me "I can handle anything etc etc" He replaced his Tups every few years Thomas was the nicest! One tup he had, BiL "I can handle anything" found himself bowled over as the tup had decided he didn't like him in the same field and had charged him. Get rid? No, as that would mean getting another tup in (spending more money) so he told his kids DON'T go in the fields!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS