Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram with a snotty nose  (Read 707 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Ram with a snotty nose
« on: June 05, 2023, 12:36:11 pm »
Just over a week ago I noticed my ram had a bit of a runny nose, not much, just a bit wet. He was shorn last week. Not been especially diverse temps between day and night.
Saturday my OH came back to say he’d had a load of snot hanging out of his nose (the ram that is). I went armed with antibiotics but he looked okay and when I took his temp it was normal so I didn’t treat him with anything.
Yesterday he seemed fine but today I’ve caught him with a big runner of snot again. It’s thick and green (sorry if you’re eating). I can hear the congestion in his nostrils. He’s not coughing. I have seen him up and grazing. It is rather warm here at the moment and him and the three other boys like to spend time under an ark. None of the others have any symptoms.
He had a wormer on 26/05 which would have covered nasal bots.
Any ideas? Would antibiotics be appropriate even if no temperature? Would metacam be an idea instead? I’ve checked my sheep vet book but no clues. He is on Hep-P+ system.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 12:47:18 pm by tommytink »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ram with a snotty nose
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 01:16:22 pm »
My guess would be getting rid of dead nasal bots

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 01:35:27 pm »
Would that feasibly still be happening now?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 01:55:55 pm »
Don't know since ive never watched sheep closely that have had nasal bots , just dosed them , but you say no temp and normal behaviour and you recently treated them , what about an internal abscess that has burst ?

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 07:00:27 pm »
Definitely seems more of a “snotty” texture 🤢 Bless him. I did call the vet and ask for someone to give me a call back but they never did. It’s not a permanent run, just every now and again notice it. Maybe I’ll just monitor it.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 10:29:48 am »
update ,so every one knows what to expect if it was bots ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS