Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose help?  (Read 1456 times)

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
Goose help?
« on: May 20, 2023, 06:48:19 pm »
I’ve a trio of geese.
1 of which was laying and then decided to go broody so let her sit but unfortunately the eggs were infertile (gander never seemed to mate her, he always preferred the other goose).
Now the other goose has not laid an egg at all yet this year but the gander has been mating her regularly.

My question is will she lay or I s it too late this year? If not why?

Also will the one that was broody (now not) lay again at all?

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Goose help?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 09:12:40 am »
It is now coming to the end of the breeding season for geese. They typically lay fewer eggs through May and stop completely around the middle of June. The older the goose the earlier they tend to stop laying. The one who was broody is unlikely to lay again this season. She will most likely start moulting before too long. You will start to see loose feathers drifting about the field.

Do you know for certain the other goose is not laying? If the gander is treading her then that is usually an indication she is laying - maybe you have not found the nest? Some geese like to lay into a communal nest but others prefer to make their own and can be very clever at hiding them. It doesn't necessarily mean they will go broody though.

And of course the obvious one - are you sure you have the sexes right? Dominant females will tread submissive females quite happily, which might explain the lack of fertility.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Goose help?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 01:11:28 pm »
my geese manage to hide nest VERY well. however crows , magpies, even stoats, foxes, badgers etc can find them before me.
My guess would be predators are taking them, they don't leave evidence.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS