Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bees  (Read 1752 times)

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
Bees
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:52:59 pm »
Sorry if this may not be the correct section to post this question but I could see anywhere else.

Can anyone recommend any flowers or vegetables etc that entice bees into the garden, there are 2 reasons why I want to do this, firstly to help them out and secondly to ensure that they pollunate my crops.

Or will bees simply be temped to my garden due to there being lots vegetable plants ect?

there a couple is a large container of sweep peas

any advice will be greatly appreciated

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Bees
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 01:20:46 pm »
Edible plants include Lavender, Thyme (herbs left to flower are good attractants), Oregano (apparantly 'Country Cream' is a variety loved by bees and butterflies, I don't have that one though).

Basil or Borage inter-planted with strawberries will increase pollination and improve the crop yield.

Try these websites for ideas:

http://www.beehappyplants.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=69&Itemid=75

http://gardening.about.com/od/attractingwildlife/a/Bee_Plants_2.htm

........And remember to avoid spraying insecticides as this will be detrimental to attracting pollinators and beneficial insects.

PS: A bee section was added to this site about a week ago.
 :bee: :bfly:

Cavendish

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:36:20 pm »
thanks for the information, there is a lot to digest.

I plan never to use insecticides, I want to use ways of combating insects and other gardeners pests.

Thanks again for the info.

I have just seen the Bee section, however it looks more like it is geared towards keeping bees, but I might post this again in that section.

Regards

Cavendish

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS