Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dosing with organic feed supplements? And diatomaceous earth for mite control  (Read 236300 times)

JFW67

• Joined Apr 2020
  • Co. Derry
    • Valkyrie Craft: Handmade Canoes and Kayaks
Hi all,

I have a small flock of sheep and attempt to manage them in accordance with organic practices.  They are Welsh Black Mountain sheep and I got them from a sheep farm here in Northern Ireland that is certified organic.

I use seaweed, ground garlic and diatomaceous earth.  All three recommended by the organic farmer.

All three are feed as a food supplement, added to slightly dampened feed pellets to hep them mix effectively.  Sheep scoff it happily and it is dosed at 5gm of each per ewe per day.

My problem is that once I stop feeding them pellets in a month or so when lambs are bigger and the grass is in full growth I will no longer have the pellet bulk to mix the supplements in to.

I am wondering if anyone has any idea on how I could make a ‘lick’ type thing that would be essentially the three additives plus some form of binding/bulking thing that could be made in a bulk bucket sized amount and left out in a similar manner to commercial licks.

Any suggestions gratefully received  :) :thumbsup:

John.

As an interesting additional comment I have used Diatomaceous Earth to deal with mite on one of the ewes this spring.  She was rubbing seriously and loosing fleece.  When I examined her I could see some signs of scabbing.  I treated her with the DE, working it into her fleece as much as I could.  She was noticeably less inclined to rub over the next few days.  A week later I sheared her, early but thinking I would be better using the DM on short fleece.  Once shorn I treated her again with the DM and did the same again a week later, trying to ensure the dust was worked In, particularly around skin folds and areas my less than professional sheering had left tufts.
At this stage she is no longer rubbing at all and the scabbing seems to be gone.

I realise that I will need to treat the rest of the flock also but at this stage none of the others have shown signs of the same manic rubbing.  My intention is to do the same with them all once shorn in a couple of weeks.

I wore a face mask while treating the ewe and was at pains to make sure I was minimising the amount of dust that was airborne to avoid her inhaling it.  :fc:
Mistakes teach best.  😳🙄😉

The Lint Mill

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
Dallas Keith do a (affordable) mineral organic sheep lick bucket, approved by soil association
www.thelintmill.co.uk
follow us on Twitter

@TheLintMill

JFW67

• Joined Apr 2020
  • Co. Derry
    • Valkyrie Craft: Handmade Canoes and Kayaks
Hi The Lint Mill,

I’ll look into this.  Have emailed them for a local supplier.

Thanks again.

John
Mistakes teach best.  😳🙄😉

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Dallas Keith do a (affordable) mineral organic sheep lick bucket, approved by soil association

Is this a wormer?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS