Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice from all you skilled gardeners please!  (Read 5354 times)

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
Advice from all you skilled gardeners please!
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:05:43 pm »
Hi all.

I'm looking for ideas for some plants for the garden. It is a 'farmhouse' even if it doesn't look exactly like one... It's in the process of being painted White... Second coat to be applied in the Spring!

I'm looking for a selection of plants varying in height from low to high to plant along the front garden wall (hip height) which are quick and easy growing.. And colourful!!! They will have a White wall as a back ground!

Any 'cottage garden' type plants ideal!

Thanks!

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
Re: Advice from all you skilled gardeners please!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:15:58 pm »
Hardy geraniums - there are loads of different sorts, all different colours and heights. Something like 'Ballerina' for front of border (pink) then taller Himalayense or similar (blue) for 2nd row. Lupins are lovely and cottage-gardeny and quite tall. Poppies for May-time - Patty's plum is a gorgeous old-rose pink (quite tall).Lavender for scent and bees, roses, climbing and bush, Hollyhocks for right at the back colour. So much choice and that's not even starting with the annuals!

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:20:07 pm »
Hi John,
There are as many answers to this as there are days in the year lol! ;D
It depends on a few factors too
Position and elevation of the site - how high above sea level are you ? what direction does the area face ? exposed and windy or sheltered and frost pocket ? does the area get full/partial shade ?
Soil type and condition - just what it says, some plants do well in acidic soil, some will shrivel and die. You can either do a soil test or see what's growing roundabout - if you've lots of rhoddies growing there's a fairly good chance your soils acid. Is it heavy and clay or light and sandy - again tailor the plants to the soil type (or import lots of new sandy loam for optimum growing conditions) or else you'll find they don't give you the best display.
Lastly - what are you looking for ? Do you want low mainenance, chuck 'em in and let them get on with it or are you up for a bit of cultivation ? Also in terms of colourscheme do you want a riot of colour with mixes of red, yellow, blue, orange etc or a more subtle sheme with one or two colours.
A few suggestions straight off for that farmhouse/cottage garden look are,
foxgloves (but they are poisonous)
ivy (to climb up and along your wall, great backdrop for setting off plants and a haven for birds and bugs)
geraniums
carnations (dianthus)
clematis (again, good climber/rambler - train it along the wall or over a gateway/arch)
daisies - ox eye, michelmas - the list is endless
Echinacia (ooo, sorry about the spelling !)
Buddlia (good, taller plant, great for the beasties )
Oh, and go nuts with bulbs ! Daffs, snowdrops, allium, tulips - get different varieties that will cover you from spring right through til late summer, they'll just keep popping up year on year  ;)
Don't forget to include some taller, evergreen shrubs too, for year round intrest and the wildlife in your garden !
HTH
Karen x

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:25:33 pm »
Test your soil in several places - so you can see What You Can Grow :) :)

Just a thing i've done over the years with different gardens is to plant bulbs (spring flowering - daffs - tulips -snakeshead fritilary ) in the holes before planting shrubs and some perenials. I'ts easier to do on planting the shrubs and you get the early colour of the spring bulbs and the shrub covers up the dying foliage later in the spring/summer.  Plant smaller clemitus close to larger shrubs and bigger flowered ones to trees.
Choose clemitus that flower at a different time to the shrub/tree - not only will it give colour when the shrub/tree has finished it give more vertical colour. Some rambler roses look good as well when entiwned in trees.
My only other titbit is to 'block'  your plants ie: use five/seven'/nine plants all the same -all one colour - all in one place, not one here one there 'blocks' make for impact. Interplant with a Tall Shrub Rose (support with bamboo stick triangles).  Make your borders a wide as possible even if you have to put some step stones (so you don't have to stand on the soil as you tie in/up the plants).
try to organise your plants so that you don't have them all blooming at once and then nothing :( :(
I tried to get atleast four sections of garden so that there was a section for spring - summer - autumm - winter (surprising how many plants flower through the winter) Winter flowering need to be close enough or at least be able to see them from the house.
Plants I love and thinks as an old fashioned include HollyHock (unfortunately they do get rust) Campanullas (the tall ones) Delphiniums, Roses (old fashioned types -though some of the Teas are georgeous), Hazels, Peony's, Laburnham (seeds are poisinous so be carefull with animals and children) Lilacs, Buddlias (not the white ones as they go brown)
OOHHHhhhhhhhhhh how I'd love to have another big border to design.  My garden this time has to be small as I cannot managed a big one anymore.
Have fun with yours  ;D ;D
You are never to old to learn something new

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 09:32:00 pm »
OOHHHhhhhhhhhhh how I'd love to have another big border to design. 

I have one you can borrow... ;D

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 09:55:11 pm »
me too!  me too!  oh yes please!!!!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 10:30:30 pm »
im still learning about gardens and planting i have a new garden to watch explode with colour this spring and summer with only moving into thee house late sept we have no idea what is in it, hopefully there will be some nice surprises.

The country cottage look i always think should have some holly in it, holly will be one of the first plants i put in

Good luck with your garden  :wave:

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 09:15:41 am »
Thanks all for the info so far!

In answer to some questions...
Position and elevation of the site - south facing...
how high above sea level are you ? 50metres... But very very cold
winters as we are in a river valley
what direction does the area face ? South
exposed and windy or sheltered and frost pocket ?pretty sheltered and frosty in
winter!
 does the area get full/partial shade ?Front of wall gets pretty much full sun
all day... Rear of wall only gets a little sun
Soil type and condition - good. I've imported some nice sandy loam and it's lightly manured last year... Just turned soil ... Not been a plant on it!
Lastly - what are you looking for ? Fairly easy growing!! Ideally plant seeds direct... Although I have a 12ft greenhouse for a few plants... Mostly used for fruit and veg!
Also in terms of colourscheme do you want a riot of colour with mixes of red, yellow, blue, orange etc or a more subtle sheme with one or two colours? Lots of colours I think?!? House is bright White with red round the windows!

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 09:22:38 am »
Just to sum up...

I'm looking for lots of different 'throw and grow' plant seeds with minimal effort, mixed with larger plants I can grow in my greenhouse and then plant out.

The garden wall is hip height.... And will also be bright White by spring! I'm looking for some bright mixed flowers that I can grow along the front of this wall... Though there isn't a 'border' or turner soil.. Just an inch band of soil... What could I plant in there?!?

The inner garden wall Is well shaded but loads of space. Ideally lots of plants
that will grow taller than hip height, in other words to they flower higher than the wall so as to be seen from both sides! With lower plants in between.

I love sunflowers... Though not the big gangly ones! Beyond that I'm more of an edible gardener!

Oh, and does anyone know where online I can buy
from at reasonable prices... Suttons is getting pretty expensive!

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 07:58:52 pm »
Just to sum up...

I'm looking for lots of different 'throw and grow' plant seeds with minimal effort,To be honest I've always found 'throw & grow seed' a waste of time - they are mostly annuals and surprising how time consuming this way of 'growing plants' is mixed with larger plants I can grow in my greenhouse and then plant out. easy plants are Lupins - sweet peas (they need their seeds to be either soaked (plimbed up) or you'll need to rub them on some sandpaper - if you can afford it, it's best to buy actually plants, perenials take at least 3 yrs to establish -a more instant garden :) :)

The garden wall is hip height.... And will also be bright White by spring! I'm looking for some bright mixed flowers that I can grow along the front of this wall... Though there isn't a 'border' or turner soil.. Just an inch band of soil...Unless you can dig out a hole you'll be limited to any decent size plants - might be best to grow a varigated ivy What could I plant in there?!?

The inner garden wall Is well shaded but loads of space. Ideally lots of plants Before you decide which plants check they will 'do' in shade - most White/Pale colours are okay.  Hostas like shade as do the Cranesbill Geraniums
that will grow taller than hip height, in other words to they flower higher than the wall so as to be seen from both sides! With lower plants in between.
I love sunflowers... Though not the big gangly ones! Beyond that I'm more of an edible gardener! You could put in tripods and put some runner beans mixed with sweetpeas - best of both worlds ;) ;)

Oh, and does anyone know where online I can buy
from at reasonable prices... Suttons is getting pretty expensive! There are loads of nursuries that sell on-line - just Google the plant and you will be surprised at how many there are
Best of luck- post a pic when you've finished
You are never to old to learn something new

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS