Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orf paste  (Read 2442 times)

Jollyhew

• Joined Jun 2020
Orf paste
« on: May 13, 2023, 03:11:53 pm »
Hello,

I have one goat who seems to have orf. No others but vet believed it to be orf. I've vaccinated the herd, as it didn't just go away in time. So hopefully the vaccination 'took'.

But he still has little lesions on his nose. I understood from the vet that the vaccine may not help to remove lesions. I purchased some nettex orf but tbh the instructions are a little lacking imo. It says to not get it in eyes or membrane areas. Eyes are easier, but since it is near nose and mouth, the other seems a challenge. What do you all do to administer this safely in areas that are extremely close to those cautioned areas? What will happen if it gets on them? Not by me but simply the goat rubs it or something?

Then there is no idea on how frequent or infrequent this should be applied. Is it once? Is it if it doesn't clear up (and when is that safe)? Every day until it clears? You get my point. This is not clear by the information provided.

Any help from those with experience I'd appreciate it!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Orf paste
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 11:38:04 am »
Ive found easiest way to treat and get rid of orf is to give all animals a free access container of salt and sulphur mixed. Both times Ive used it, the orf has disappeared for years, with no reinfection in subsequent years from the original infection. Only came back again from some bought in pet lambs. That was @ 15 years ago. Again the sulphur and salt cured it in a few weeks, and we've never had it since.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS