Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hair loss on lamb's ears  (Read 1851 times)

Tulip23

• Joined Apr 2023
Hair loss on lamb's ears
« on: May 11, 2023, 10:08:43 pm »
Keen to avoid vet visit if possible:  Anyone any ideas/experience of hair loss on lamb's ears?   My micro flock of 8 lambs (Suffolk mule x Grey Faced Dartmoor) aged 4 and 5 weeks old still with their mothers have gradually been losing more hair/fleece/coat from their ears.  The backs of the ears - exposing pink hairless areas that I anticipate them becoming sunburned in the near future.   Totally asymptomatic with no head shaking or itching noted. 
Mothers seemingly unaffected.  One or two are worse than the others and one or two have barely any loss. 
I have a cade lamb at home and no signs of loss.

Called vet this evening and she wants to come out and take skin scraping and bloods.  Sounds expensive and wondered if anyone else could shed any light please? 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Hair loss on lamb's ears
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 07:42:14 am »
Might be a reaction to a plant (bog ashphodel came to mind but it's a bit early for that), or could be a sign of a mineral deficiency. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forestlens

• Joined Jul 2020
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 08:57:31 pm »
Isn’t it a sign of selenium deficiency? We drench regularly for it.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 06:31:14 am »
Could be a cobalt deficiency, a multivitamin drench wouldn't be a bad shout.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS