Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubator  (Read 1595 times)

ryaldinhio

• Joined Feb 2015
Incubator
« on: April 23, 2023, 10:24:00 am »
Haven't been on here for a long time, looking to hatch some chick's and get back into keeping hens. I've been reading up on incubators and the KEBONNIXS one seems to be well rated.

KEBONNIXS 12 Egg Incubator with Humidity Display, Egg Candler, Automatic Egg Turner, for Hatching Chickens https://amzn.eu/d/fJ3xg2j

Does anyone have any other recommendations, or possibly one for sale? It will be first time we have incubated our own.

Thanks
Ryan

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Incubator
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 10:51:58 am »
Everything will depend on the accuracy of the gauges [member=124189]ryaldinhio[/member] . Not sure about the statement 360 degree turning? You would normally turn eggs at least 3 times a day (odd number) by at least 90 degrees. Don't know what will happen if you keep spinning them around? The internal area is very small to hatch chicks- they will start to move around, the shells get in the way and so will those dividers. Normally all the dividers are removed and the eggs placed on a soft mat to hatch.

Both our incubators are Italian semi-autos, so the eggs are rotated by moving a handle. Both temperatures are read with mercury thermometers and there is no humidity gauge, just one or two water holders to fill, so the development of the air sac is checked by candling. They do sell Brinsea products here but they are expensive.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Incubator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 11:07:11 am »
My preference is for the RCOM range. But they are more expensive than the brand you are looking at (which I'm not familiar with).

For a cheaper option there is Janoel. I bought a 2nd hand 20 egg capacity one as a back up to my RCOM and apart from not being able to watch the hatching eggs so easily, it does the job perfectly well and is super-easy to use - fill up with eggs, switch on and go. Add water as necessary.

Alternatively a broody hen is even cheaper  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS