Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambivac & heptavac shortage  (Read 4224 times)

Advertisement

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
Lambivac & heptavac shortage
« on: April 04, 2023, 07:08:02 pm »
Hi Folks,

is it just me? I am trying to source a wee bottle of Lambivac - there's none. Heptavac? Nope. Is that all sitting in a queue in Dover? Vet suggested Covexin..... sigh.....

Christian

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
Re: Lambivac & heptavac shortage
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 06:24:26 am »
We lamb in December, had issues due to shortages of heptavac back then - finally got some just by luck really.

steve_pr

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 03:46:47 pm »
There always seems to be a shortage of Heptavac (and even more so Lambivac) in the smaller bottles. Our local store only has 500ml bottles left now!!!  Fortunately I bought as much as I needed in the smaller sizes back in the summer when it forst came available. Felt bad about grabbing the stock but after last year it was a no-brainer.

We couldn't get Heptavac and turn to Bravoxin which seemed agood deal (small pack sizes and 1ml doses). I think Covexin is much the same thing. The trouble is neither of them cover Pasteurella. Come last autumn we had lambs dropping like flies just when they should have been ready for market - all down to pneumonia. Never again!

We have both sheep and goats (Angoras) and although there is much debate about which vaccine to use for goats we have always used Heptavac P Plus on them as well as the sheep and never had any issues. We have spoken to a few of the top Angora breeders who are also vets and they don't see a major issue.

Christian

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 05:47:44 pm »
Thanks Steve_pr and ZacB - always good to know it's not just me.... I've finally found some lambivac (100ml) not too far away (a cool 80 miles round trip....)(Anke, if you need some, there'll be oodles left). Might have a word with the distributer - there must be a good reason for the shortage....

Happy Easter, folks!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 12:04:05 pm »
I understood it was a shortage of small bottles that was the issue ......  well that was what I was told last year ..... but cant see how that could still be the case
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 10:38:25 am »
Everybody out of stock in Central Scotland too.

If this continues, can anybody explain what we'd be missing by using Ovivac instead? Also if we go down that route, I take it we can still switch back to Heptavac by double-dosing hoggs next year?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2023, 11:25:29 am »
Our local farm store is now saying no Heptavac available before June. So what's everybody doing instead? Ovivac, or something else?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS