Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeds  (Read 1830 times)

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
Feeds
« on: March 16, 2023, 05:28:49 am »
I’ve finally taken the plunge after getting loads of fantastic advice on here over the last few months. And doing lots and lots of reading. Pig book buying and you tubing.

I’ve gone in rather to well I know.

I’ve bought (waiting to come) 2 Gloucester old spot weaners, a mangalitsa weaner.
The absolutely unplanned was the 3 adult pigs I’m buying. 2 2 year old mangalitsa sows. To my rooky eye they look a little thin (the other pig steals the food by the seems of it. They are being fed properly).
The the castrated male who absolutely fantastic. He’s rather built on my lines. Enjoys food a little tooo much 😂
Like myself I feel a diet is a good idea.
Im planning to feed them separately so the mangalitsa gals get their share as do the piglets.

We aren’t organic but i do try and be as natural as possible.
Can anyone recommend a feed that is best f or them all please?
I appreciate it maybe 3 different feeds until big boy and the mangalitsa gals are the correct weight.

The vet I get out is on holiday for a couple of weeks. I’ve already booked for her to come and see them and get a plan in place.

Where I’m buying the piglets I’m sure they will be happy to advice also.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Feeds
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 02:53:52 am »
My go-to feed is Allen & Page Rare Breed Sow Rolls.  But I am going to have to switch to the Rare Breed Sow Pencils this year as they've stopped making the rolls.

The A&P Smallholder Range range isn't organic but use all non-GM British-grown inputs, and from non chemically-intensive farms.  No soya, which I prefer.

Your weaners may benefit from a bit more protein up to 4 months old, so you could get the A&P rare breed grower or weaner/finisher feed for them.  If your mangalitza girls don't regain condition over time, you could give them some of the finisher feed for a while too. 

Are the sows back in pig? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 07:58:03 pm »
You may find that your choice is limited to what your local store stocks. Most stock a sow and weaner then a fattener.

As you will know pig food isn't cheap and pigs need it daily.

Have the sows just been weaned? They could be thinner if they have been feeding a litter. Have you checked if they have been wormed?

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 11:37:18 am »
Thank you for the replies

These are pigs I’m buying. As far as I’m aware the sows have never been bred. I’m hoping to breed them when they are in condition.

I spoke to the Allen and page rep who advised exactly the same. I can ask my feed merchant to get it in for me.

They have been on a concrete pen (outside). They are going onto rotational grazing with me.
Because the castrated lad is a bossy old fart by the seems of it I plan to keep them separate from the weaners I’m buying in. The idea is they grow up together. Until the day 2 of them get processed.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 09:21:16 pm »
I think I'm correct that mangalitzas are quite slow growing and they are also notoriously fatty, producing lard. Have you checked when is the best time for them to go to the boar? Generally speaking leaving a pig until it is two would considerably reduce its chance of getting in to pig. Fat is laid down around the ovaries.

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 10:02:38 am »
Argh, I’ve been Googling trying to find exactly that answer.
Looks like 2 more pet pigs 😂
These girls are very skinny because the castrated lad bully’s them for the food.
I’ve arranged for a piglet mangalitsa to come with a couple of old spots. So, we will have mangalitsa piglets at some point

Thank you! I’ve spent hours and hours googling to get no where near the answer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS