Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do I rehome pigs?  (Read 2219 times)

DedicatedSoupFain

• Joined Mar 2023
How do I rehome pigs?
« on: March 05, 2023, 08:56:43 am »
Hi there,
We took on 4 pigs to clear land and stop them getting the freezer about 4 years ago.
They've been a delight and have done their job and now we are feeling it is time they moved on.  However, we have no idea where or who to ask.  After a facebook post I was directed here.
Basically just looking for group or sanctuary suggestions if no one likes them.  They're super friendly and definitely more pets than anything else, but we have run out of land to clear so now they're just going back over ground they already cleared and undoing their own hardwork.  We're in the North East of Scotland.

Ideas would be welcome, thank you and all the b est,
Dan
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 08:59:14 am by DedicatedSoupFain »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: How do I rehome pigs?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 01:55:07 pm »
You'll note the deathly silence to your post DSF. :innocent:

Basically because many of us would be happy to take them off your hands. And have them made into sausages. But rehoming them is another matter.

You don't say what breed they are - so I'm assuming they are big? Big pigs eat a lot of food, as mere pets or in a sanctuary, and for someone to take 4 is an incredibly big ask.  They need space, they make a mess and they cost a lot to feed. Especially as feed prices have doubled in the past year.

So - if you advertise widely you might find someone like you who has some land to clear; but even then they will ultimately be going to the butcher.

Not helpful I know. I once had a sow I was fond of and didn't want to eat. I gave her to a friend who had a smallholding. I didn't ask but I know he got her slaughtered. However at least she didn't go through a market on her own, not knowing what was happening; and that was ultimately going to happen anyway.

Similarly, I once took on a sow that someone had raised as a pet on their allotment and she was now too big. We never discussed what happened to her. I kept her for a few months so she at least had a bit of freedom and company before she went for slaughter. Again I didn't put her into market, but straight to the butcher. The sausages were lovely.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 02:32:17 pm »
I "rehome" unwanted cockerels. Usually into my freezer. Most people just want the birds gone. They ask me if I can "use them for breeding". I say "No. But I will take them off your hands on the understanding that ultimately they will go in the pot. Are you ok with that?"  I have never had anyone say oh well I will try elsewhere then.

Landroverroy has said what probably most of us are thinking really. Sorry.

DedicatedSoupFain

• Joined Mar 2023
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 04:29:18 pm »
Thank you for your replies both.

I was thinking this would probably be the case.
I will persevere a little while longer.  They can go as twos so i will put that down on and future posts.

Might be a case of: "Can you take them?" and just assume theyre going to a fantastic well fed somewhere, no questions asked.

Thank you again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS