Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old barn roof  (Read 1595 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Old barn roof
« on: March 02, 2023, 11:11:31 pm »
My old barn has clay tiles which hang on battons .Under the battons lime mortar has been used to seal the gaps.There is no felt as I believe this was how roofs were originally done....with the idea the lime mortar soaked up any rain which permeated the tiles.No nails.
The mortar is completely dust and some battons broken.Any advice on repairing.Any grants available It's not listed.Just used for agricultural purposes.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Old barn roof
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 06:32:39 am »
My first house roof was assembled in the same way with Rosemary tiles and lime mortar. Had to strip the whole roof, felt, new battens and used as many of the old tiles as possible. Most of the tiles had started to break up with the top surface flaking off. Fortunately I found someone who was re-tiling his house before he retired so the tiles were still good (and cheap). Every fifth row was nailed on (using copper nails) to stop the wind lifting them. I hired two scaffold towers for the job with planks between them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS