Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: two dead hens  (Read 5696 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
two dead hens
« on: December 27, 2010, 07:55:46 pm »
not three french, but two dead hens (pullets really) today   :'(   :(

they were this years hatch, one Derbyshire redcap & one plymouth barred rock.
so thats two less laying next year, and another of my rare breed gone.

think it must be the cold, and I suppose they may have been last in line for food once too often though we do our very best to spread it out....
they seemed quite thin (but then, once they're dead they're not much to look at)

so sad here today   :chook:
Little Blue

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
Re: two dead hens
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:01:21 pm »
So Sorry Little Blue  :'(
I know how sad that can be - My lovely Silver Laced Orpington Cockerel came out of his shed and within 5 minutes keeled over, he was a this years hatching - I only had 3 hatch so I'm left with a little pullet and another cockerel -lovely though he is he's not a patch on the one that died.  it has to be the cold.
You are never to old to learn something new

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:11:09 pm »
 :( :(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:31:02 pm »
What a shame. I always expect to lose a couple over the winter - not always oldies either.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 08:47:48 pm »
ahh so sorry
 :bouquet:

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 09:10:34 pm »
Sorry to hear about your hens
Helen

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 09:51:33 pm »
it's about tiem this weather went, i'm fed up finding dead birds of some descript, be it a chook, or a house bird

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:29:03 am »
oh no little blue, I'm sorry. never nice to lose them but when they are so young as well very sad  :(

each morning i open the sheds expecting some losses but we have (touch wood) been lucky so far - only one 'gone' and that was I am sure mr fox as he came back next day, cheeky git.

take care xx
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 04:03:19 pm »
thanks all.
I feel extra guilty for considering culling the older birds once we establish who is laying and who isnt!

on the plus side... I found a HUGE rat frozen solid the other week at the front of the shed  ::D  so thats one less...
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 04:35:30 pm »
1 less rat always a good thing!! snowball is still bringing them in the house, some dead but some alive (bad cat!!) sometimes she eats the middle bit and we just get a head and tail in the kitchen to wake up to, bleugh.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 04:55:37 pm »
nice.  ours are like that - we check out the body language before opening the door after Del let loose a live mouse under the grand piano 5 minutes before J was teaching in there.  he stores all manner of stuff underneath it, which all had to come out.... Del wandered off, and it took Ages to catch the Bl**dy thing!!

we get bits left on the step though...
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 05:51:51 pm »
Its when you wander into the kitchen still half asleep and bare foot - squelch  ;D  bless'em.
did J get the mouse out in time for teaching?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 06:38:21 pm »
That's why I didn't re-install the cat flap when I put my new doors and windows in!  No more dead things or live running things either ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 07:07:19 pm »
we got it out eventually, with two cats' help & the student waited very patiently & climbed round the books and stuff!
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 11:42:34 pm »
we had one nesting under the sofa. Told the cat off that she's got it wrong, we want less of them in the house not more because she lost them! :cat: ::)
 :&>
Sorry about your birds, LB, so distressing when they go before their time. :bouquet:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS