Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hay ad lib?  (Read 5602 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Hay ad lib?
« on: December 27, 2010, 04:23:33 pm »
My 8 girls have eaten their way through a bale of hay in 2 days - should I ration them or is this the right amount?  I am giving them ivy and willow branches too as well as a small amount of concentrate once a day.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Hay ad lib?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:08:00 pm »
A big bale? Or a small bale?

Goats do need a lot of hay, and most people feed ad lib. We don't quite feed ad lib- but they all get their hayracks freshly filled in the middle of the day, and topped up if need be morning and evening. I generally find my kids from about 6 months old to my goatlings will eat any quantity of hay, whilst the adults do eat a lot less.

Beth

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 07:36:43 pm »
small bale!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:46:15 pm »
think of it as their form of central heating!
and if they are filling up with hay it should cost less in concentrates...

our 3 are emptying a wall rack (5 foot manger type) in about a day and a half on top of the concentrates.
If you have goats, get big bales in winter - it really makes a difference  ;)
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 07:52:27 pm »
A small bale between 8 goats in 2 days is perfectly normal. Little Blue is right, big bales are more economical.

Beth

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:20:56 pm »
prices sky high here - have been quoted £60 per big bale!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 11:31:53 pm »
Wow- that's awful. I pay £25 for a big bale. Mind you, we find small bales are expensive here- £5-6 a bale.

Not good at all!

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 06:49:52 am »
My six goats go through a small bale in betwen two and three days, but they also get horse haylage first thing in the morning. They are not out at all atm, and I give the hay at lunchtime and last thing at night if rack is empty. They also get some concentrate first thing in the morning, and some sugarbeet shreds at lunchtime if its cold. Haylage lasts a week per bale.

I pay 4 pounds per small bale, and 6 for a bale of haylage (I buy it in the merchants, as my own stuff has not been tested and I know of people whose goats got listeriosis from haylage, happily my sheep will eat it though).

I have given up adding up the costs of the goats, but luckily still have got a cheque to cash from the farmer who had his calves in my field for most of the summer.... at least some money towards the skyhigh costs of feeding the animals this winter...

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 06:57:43 am »
A good stockman will feed as much hay/haylage at this time of year as the animals will eat.  When the temperatures rise, the demand for hay will drop. 

The prices vary so much this year but here in Devon I am paying £35 per bale of hay - very large bale, 8' long ! - which, as it weighs around 400kg I don't think is too bad.

We have to pray for a warm spring and summer so the grass grows fantastically.  Store as much fodder this next year as you can so there is always something in your barn.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 01:58:29 pm »
Also- if you can get your hands on really good quality straw- goats will eat that too, and it is not bad for them. No, its not got the same protein content as hay, but it has great fibre content, and you can always replace the protein with something else- a little bit of soya bean meal for example.

Our local farmer where we get hay and straw from, has one field where the grass grows through the crop- so we always get the straw from that field, as it has the dried grass through it. The goats love to eat it, and if the weather is particularly bad and the goatlings eat all their other hay, I will throw some of the straw in the hayrack to give them something to chew at. At only £12 for a big bale, that is very economical for them. I wouldn't like to solely feed straw, but as an addition it can be fine.

Beth

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 07:24:43 am »
For those living in areas where peas are grown -  PEA HAULM.    A wonderful nutritious fibre/feed provider.

I can't get it in Devon,  but in Sussex I used to buy up to 2000 bales a year.  The goats love it and it is a fantastic addition at this time of year.   Most arable areas grow peas, another is triticale which is commonly grown.  Never tried this but I am sure somebody has.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 08:04:30 am »
we grew peas last year and I can vouch for the goats loving the haulm!! is runner bean haulm ok too do you know?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 07:09:42 am »
Yes it is.

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 11:32:22 pm »
Has anybody got any idea of how many small bales makes up a big round bale or a big square bale for comparison purposes?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 09:45:42 am »
I think most people use factor of 10 to 12 small bales to a big round one. I have never used big hay bales (yet).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS