Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Knitting machines  (Read 15995 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Knitting machines
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:59:55 pm »
Having been very kindly given a super Singer knitting machine via freecycle I have discovered it has a broken needle.  I can't find anywhere in the handbook on how to change a needle (I have four spares) so can anyone out there help, please?  I'm desperate to start knitting again but this needle is slap bang in the middle of the needle bed!

Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Knitting machines
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 08:31:45 am »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 02:53:21 pm »
Thanks, Linz, found help, and got needle replaced.  What did you search for to get this website - I only got two possible links when I did it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 03:18:27 pm »
i just google everything but then i adapt the search terms,
how to repair a broken needle in a knitting machine or something like that.
What i find to help is write the term as a answere that you would find on a webpage
linz

sandy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 04:46:48 pm »
You'll have loads of big jmpers soon for presents, I keep thinking of my daughters boyfriend, he had a small knitting factory and used to knite every friend a big strippy jumper, I probably told you before but I found it funny at the time as all his friends looked like Dennis the Mennace...Happy knitting  Sandy (Islay is in season now so could do with some pants!!!)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 05:28:35 pm »
Well if I can get the thing to knit Islay will have a pair of bloomers for Christmas, will do for next season!  Just as well Brucie's been 'done'  ;)
Have joined the Scottish Machine Knitters Association in hope of attending classes to refresh my memory.

sandy

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 07:40:17 pm »
Thanks, Islay is not keeping the ones on left buy a male guest, next season we are taking her to a stud dog in Edinburgh..

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »
I've discovered that none of my tables are suitable for the clamps for my machine so I need a knitting machine table.  If anyone knows of one can they let me know please.  Quite happy to pay a bit for one, but will try free cycle too. Can't use the machine properly till I get one
Annie
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:34:43 pm by doganjo »

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:43:30 am »
Just to let you know that their is a machine knitting forum on Ravelry
www.ravelry.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 01:25:26 pm »
can't find it - maybe need to be registered (invited) so have asked for invitation to join up

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 06:54:17 pm »
yeah sorry you do need to sign up for it via an invite (they are taking about 3 days for invite to come though) but it is on their once you sign up you can find it
here is a link once you have signed up http://www.ravelry.com/groups/machineknitting

scary

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 08:46:18 pm »
Hello Everybody, my first time visiting your forum, fantastic to find people interested in knitting machines.  I have just purchased a Brother 950i via ebay with a ribber and other accessories.  It hasnt arrived just yet but I am so excited and scared at the same time.  About thirty years ago I had a knitmaster but with small children never had time to use so sold it.  Now I am a real newbie and just hope I will be able to figure out how to use the machine.  My husband, who paid for it, has  high
expectations from me ...  so no pressure!!!

Has anybody any suggestions on sites to go onto that will help me.  I understand that all manuals are with machines .  Sorry to butt in on your conversations.

Any suggestions where to go for machine yarn.  I live in Ireland and honestly I have searched and as yet have not found any sites over here.  How do you know how many cones will make a garment ie long sleeve jumper in 4ply or double knit.  Now you can see I really have not got a clue.  I am also looking for a table any suggestions.  Tony (husband) has hinted he will make one.   

Regards. Mary :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 11:50:51 pm »
Hi Scary Mary ;)
I joined the Scottish Machine Knitters Association - I'm sure there will be one in Ireland.  They had a stall at a recent Craft Fair and the ladies there were very very helpful.  I can't get started yet because I need a table - can't get the pressure without it to use the machine.  My one was obtained through Freecycle - I've tried to get a table there too but no luck.  The Association also runs classes and tutorials so try finding a club or classes near you.  When I had my previous machine (when the kids were little) I went to classes and learned to make loads of stuff - my sister was just saying the other day she still has a beautiful evening top I made for her one Christmas, just wishes she could still get into it  ;D  I made a lovely romper suit for my son Donald when he was about 1, and a matching dress for his older sister.  They had lots of warm jumpers too.
Good luck - don't be scared, just get stuck in.  Set it up and start playing with it - don't take it down every time either - keep it set up or you'll not bother.
Just need a table now!
Annie

scary

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 11:28:25 am »
Hi Annie, thank you for the encouragement and enthusiasm.  I will let you know how I get on .. so now just need to find a table or encourage the carpenter!!!  Sounds like you have had a lot of fun. 

I have gone on google.ie to see if any clubs in Ireland, so far found nothing but will keep searching and if I get good, I might even start one ... (I'm running away with myself now) :D ... cant find anywhere that even sells machines or cones of wool in Ireland either how bad is that ... found Yeoman yarns last evening and have sent off for the colour charts so that is a start. 

Found the videos on You Tube very good, spent 5 hours last evening scouring the net for information.  Regards.

Mary :)

MrsMac

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 02:36:43 pm »
I was going to suggest youtube to you.  I sat and watched some of the beginners videos the other night and found myself saying "oh, yeah I remember that" quite often.  I've just booked a day holiday from work and that's going to be my day for getting to grips with the Knitmaster.

As for how much yarn you'll need - not sure what the proper way of judging is but I do remember that I used to buy cones by weight so my suggestion is that you weigh one of your existing jumpers and use that as a guide to start with.  I have some full cones of Shetland and I know that a full jumper for my husband hardly made a dent in one.

How about this?

Craftspun Yarns
The Old Mill, Johnstown, Naas, Co Kildare, 00 353 45 876881
The shop is open by appointment only, but does a good selection of handknitting, crochet and machine-knitting yarns that have been spun and dyed in either Donegal or England for Craftspun Yarns; only a few branded yarns are stocked. It also sells Ashford spinning wheels and looms as well as a selection of knitting accessories.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:49:40 pm by MrsMac »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS