Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wheat  (Read 7097 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Wheat
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 10:50:45 pm »
I have the same little mill from Ascott.

I have made rice flour with it and use it to grind up my egg shells. It grinds to a fine powder - it's great - full of potential.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 09:00:03 am »
I have been looking into buying non gmo wheat and oat seeds and have been struggling to source them in the uk. Do you think that If I buy organic grains from a wholefood sale shop they would germinate? Does organic necessarily mean that the grain is from a open pollinating or heritage seed source?

My seed concerns are getting more acute as I have been researching into terminator seeds.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 09:22:18 am »
I'd like to grow a few acres of wheat/oats, but it's the price of the kit for the back of the tractor to sow the seed, do the cut, thresh etc that's the problem. Any recommendations for 'medium' sized kit?

I wouldn't feed the oats to my horses though, they'd fizz up uncontrollably.

:farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 10:14:40 am »
revert back to what our forefathers done sow the seed by hand scythe to cut the crop hand sheave and stack and flail for threshing

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 10:58:57 am »
Seen that in the John Seymour book, thing is, in the real world and on top of everything else I do here I just haven't got the time or the energy. The work involved to do a few acres by hand is immense.

Now, is there an icon of a knackered smallholder that's taken to the drink........

Nope. Oh well, happy farmer it is then......

:farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 11:27:38 am »
yes it is a great idea to grow your own in the end it comes down to being practical the sowing by hand is the easiest part it is the harvesting that is the stumbling block

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS