Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Alternatives during the veggie and salad shortage  (Read 5812 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Alternatives during the veggie and salad shortage
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2023, 06:56:22 am »
Kale crisps are fantastic.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2023, 10:14:04 am »
What a shame you haven't learnt to eat these foods which are so good for you.

I'm sorry, that's really harsh!  Kale gies me the boak as well  ;D .

It's interesting that Therese Coffey was ridiculed for saying we should eat turnips during the winter (and yes, it's easy to see why). However, she did have a point. I guess we're just used to seeing all veg available in the supermarket all year round. Then when things do come into season they're marked as "50% off" (the price we were charging in March).

My friends were amazed when I said I'd had my first egg for months and it was delicious. "But..... you keep chickens??". "Yeah, and that's why I haven't seen an egg since October".

Ho hum.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2023, 04:51:11 pm »
My hubby grew up the same as so many Scots, with no green veg beyond peas, and he was so delighted to be introduced to a whole range of fruit and veg when he met me. 
Thank God the English are here to educate us poor backward Scots. :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2023, 05:01:26 pm »
You're not growing or cooking kale properly if it makes you boak.  It's the young fresh green shoots you pick and they are delicious.
lol = nope, I only ate it once - in a restaurant, soon after we married in 1968 - never again

No, shortages won't bother me, I've got a stock of frozen veg and will eat food that is in season  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2023, 05:03:46 pm »
I could survive on tatties and pickled beetroot to be honest  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2023, 06:49:02 pm »
That's good to hear. We might soon have to!  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2023, 12:22:37 am »
My hubby grew up the same as so many Scots, with no green veg beyond peas, and he was so delighted to be introduced to a whole range of fruit and veg when he met me. 
Thank God the English are here to educate us poor backward Scots. :innocent:

You said it Rosemary, not me  :roflanim:  Good isn't it  :eyelashes:  What a shame there's no icon for steam coming out your ears
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 12:24:30 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2023, 07:02:52 pm »
I'm not quite understanding the culinary problem.  As regards raw salads, what's wrong with a "winter salad" of shredded carrot/turnip (swede)/crispy cabbage?  Maybe some radish & perhaps apple, nuts and even a few raisins/sultanas also.  Dressing to one's personal preference:  I quite like fromage frais.  As regards cooking, plenty of non-fresh options if one must (canned, frozen, paste etc).

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 07:42:46 pm by arobwk »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2023, 03:03:00 pm »
I don.t have a problem with that at all.  I firmly believe the human race has become lazy - we need to get back to eating foods that are in season and close to home to avoid unnecessary food miles

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2023, 03:34:54 pm »
Amen to that

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2023, 05:59:16 pm »
So really the 'shortages' are self-inflicted. There are no shortages of in-season foods.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2023, 06:32:20 pm »
Interesting programme on TV last night on this very subject. Seems the cost of heating the greenhouses here that grow out of season veg is so high now that production in January and February, due to fixed supermarket pricing and no government assistance, is impossible to the extent that producers are converting their land to industrial or housing estates. In five years there won't be home produced out of season veg. The availability will depend entirely on European producers having a glut and so being prepared to go through all the queues and paperwork to get rid of it to the UK. I saw the Government blamed the shortages on poor weather in Europe, which is correct as it meant no glut. What they haven't done is explain the exact circumstances. Energy is too expensive to the UK producers and the UK is the last choice of sales by European growers because of the travel delays and paperwork.

The other point was the workforce shortage with growers relying on European labour who now can't be there for over 6 months. Begs the question with any unemployment in the UK why can't they fill these jobs? I'm sure we all know the answer- it's hard work with low pay and they don't want it.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2023, 01:02:27 pm »
I don.t have a problem with that at all.  I firmly believe the human race has become lazy - we need to get back to eating foods that are in season and close to home to avoid unnecessary food miles

and this is what this post is about - growing your own rather than relying on bought items and poorly supply chains  :garden: :sunshine:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2023, 05:36:33 pm »
Interesting programme on TV last night on this very subject ...................

Interesting thoughts [member=23925]chrismahon[/member] :  I'm no expert on seasonal agricultural employment or UK social security rules, but 2 things: 
I can't vouch for, but I have often heard interviewed growers lamenting at their inability to recruit enough seasonal workers DESPITE paying hourly rates considerably above minimum wage !
Also, as I understand it, UK social security rules are inflexible making it difficult for individuals to take up worthwhile seasonal employment at risk of out-of-season hassles seeking (once again) some kind of financial support to avoid the very worst depths of poverty.  Long since the migration of UK workers from, say, London to Kent to harvest the hops !
Of course, now (in the UK) we have, apparently, more job vacancies than job seekers !?  It seems to me (much like with the NHS) a robust national manpower plan, in association with industry/trade associations & education institutions, is long overdue with matched-up training plans, foreign-worker visa policies, immigration etc AND reformed universal credit rules and reg's. 

What we need is a bit more CLEVER, repeat CLEVER long-term thinking by Government/Governments.  That is not a dig at just the present Conservative Party Gov':  there needs to be a long-term contract between political parties that sets out unswerving "universal" commitments with competing "Party politics" being played-out around the edges.  And having said all of that, I am left wondering whether I will bother to vote at the next local or national elections at all !!  The world is ruled by greed and, more often than not, by greed for more wealth than anyone could ever actually benefit from unless one is into owning a small Nation. 
I was listening to a radio article this week (was it Rad4 or Times Radio?) about the increasing number of UK "nomads" living out of touring caravans and converted trucks because they simply cannot afford to buy bricks&mortar OR to even rent housing at prevailing EXORBITANT rental rates.  We are all on a very rapid downward spiral of economic disparity/inequality and eventual dystopia.  I am just so glad that I do actually own a few acres where I might grow some turnips, carrots and cabbage to make a winter salad. Not sure what salad-dressing I might be able to conjure up though! Lol

[ Interesting little bit of advice I gleaned from the Silky web-site:  apparently olive oil is good for dissolving sap residues on a saw-blade :) ]

« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 08:02:20 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2023, 09:57:29 pm »
<<< [ Interesting little bit of advice I gleaned from the Silky web-site:  apparently olive oil is good for dissolving sap residues on a saw-blade ] >>>

That should work on my penknife  :thumbsup:
Thanks arobwk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS