Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly Hen ?.  (Read 2511 times)

Badger

• Joined May 2010
Poorly Hen ?.
« on: December 25, 2010, 01:06:17 pm »
Merry xmas to all. Today our Light Sussex hen is acting oddly. She is laying down under the trees, then she appears to be straining. We wonder if she might be egg bound ?. She is also at times today standing on one leg. We have just got her back into the compound, and she is now eating and mixing with the other hens.......any ideas.

Mrs Badger :chook:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Poorly Hen ?.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 07:11:48 pm »
not sure about egg-bound, hopefully one of the others with more experience of it will be along soon.
a lot of my chickens are standing one legged currently, to avoid having 2 feet on the snow, could it be that?
hope she is better soon  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 06:06:16 pm »
Yes, mine are swapping feet on the snowy frosty ground every 2 or 3 minutes so don't worry about that, but the straining is a worry.  Can you see what her vent looks like?  any runny poos etc?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 06:14:59 pm »
mine are all doing the swap leg dance as well  :chook:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 10:57:14 am »
same here, hopefully she is just lying down to keep her feet warm, my ducks are doing that (when they are not standing on one leg)  :&> :chook:

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 09:13:18 pm »
My hens do the same.
Helen

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 10:18:24 am »
Hello all, sorry been away at outlaws for a day. Our Sussex did after a lot of straining eventually lay a very large egg. She seems to be fine again now, so panic over. Thanks to all for your help, and a happy new year to all.

Badger

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS