Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Digging out a trout pond, any advice?  (Read 22310 times)

waterhouse

Re: Digging out a trout pond, any advice?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 03:26:56 am »
Its hard to say without more information whether digging a pond counts as "development" and needs planning permission at all.  If it's a pond in a garden then it's gardening and there is anyway a presumption in favour of wildlife.  But if you affect any watercourses then you will need Environment Agency approval.  This is quite a useful link
http://www.basc.org.uk/en/how-to/conservation/dig-this--how-to-create-a-pond.cfm

A pond puddled with the right clay will last for ever while a geotextile liner will always be susceptible to being punctured.  However puddling is hard work and the pond has to be designed with the right foundations and correct angles.  It may just work or it may leak constantly despite everything you do!.  A textile liner is generally going to be cheaper and easier unless you have lots of friends to help with the work.  If the finished pond leaks it is a real sod of a job to fix.

I used to work bringing back overgrown ponds into use before membranes appeared on the scene.  Pulling out a tree which was choking the pond could have the effect of pulling out the plug!  Also not all clay works well for puddling. 

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 11:16:42 am »
katie every project needs an angle you have an orchard it needs water in a drought does it not ponds are ideal for this
job done account will be in the post

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 05:38:26 pm »
Phew! so much good advice and experience. I was concerned about my 5 year old falling in but he is taking regular swimming lessons and is quite danger adverse. I will dig it out a bugger the planning. ( I have a growing subversive streak) The area is quite low in the field, it is wet through the year and is near to a brook owned by the adjoining land owner. I will have to pace out the size but I guess it will be in the region of 20 metres square. I am also wondering about oxygenation - I know solar powered pumps are a possibility. Possibly not ducks and trout in the same pond then! I may have to choose between the two. Hummmmmmmmm  :P both are delicious.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 06:46:10 pm »
You may get wild ducks coming down anyway, you can shoot those for dinner! ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 07:16:25 pm »
We were thinking about digging out the old pond that used to be in our field, it was filled in around 30 yrs ago but appears on all the old maps. Do you reckon we'd need planning?

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 07:21:40 pm »
Probably not if you're just restoring a previous pond. Best to check, though.

HappyHippy

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 07:27:41 pm »
Here's a link to the Pond conservation website
http://www.pondconservation.org.uk/advice/makeapond/planningpermission
I think, if you've got to import materials to fill/line it (think hardcore, sand etc)then you will need permission - a quick call to your local council and ask for the duty planning officer (just don't give them your name  ;)) should answer it for certain - it seems to (like ALL planning stuff) vary from place to place and person to person  ::)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 07:28:16 pm »
Dread asking though... 2 yrs of old wounds re permission for stables still not healed!

robert waddell

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 07:33:57 pm »
don't go there they do not like losing     been there

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 07:43:10 pm »
Don't I know it! Think I may just start digging it out gradually and see how it goes.

HappyHippy

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 08:57:19 pm »
If no-one's likely to see you or complain about it and it used to be a pond I'd probably go ahead without even asking, but that's just the rebel in me !  ::)

waterhouse

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 09:11:29 pm »
Read all the guidance notes your planning authority publishes but this doesn't sound like either a change of use or a development in any shape or form.  Pond restoration is generally smiled-on by government.  It is hard to argue that something that is shown on the map shouldn't be there in real life, and removing unknown dumped rubbish is a public service

I wouldn't ask direct because they have a way of sucking you in - we really need more information, can you let us have a map and a list of materials - and before you know where you are your're sponsoring your very own jobsworth interfering g*t planner.  

We did it by the book last year for our stable and ended up totally stressed-out by the unhelpful pig-headed uncommunicative complete ****ing **stards.  I'm so angry I'm taking them through their own complaints process.  The local MP even helped.  Our application was within policy, supported by letters from the neighbours and invisible from any road.  So they just went slow and silent and procedural.  

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 09:22:28 pm »
Oh my god de ja vu! Only difference for us was a few neighbours weren't happy as I might drive a horse lorry past their house. This is why I try to stay away from them total bloody jobsworths. I've just worked with a very large local authority in my professional capacity one of the septa was planning, let me tell u I now know foe definite they're just lookin for work to justify their salaries.. Serious waste of funds.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 02:06:20 am »
We all hate the planners but they are needed sometimes(and believe me thats a hard thing to say!)

Planning permission is needed here in the parks for any major land movement, like holes or levelling, but this may not be the case outside the parks and its probably different whatever authority you have. 

We have major planning obstacles to get round this year too for a number of reasons and I am sure its all going to be another long lengthy stressful year of worrying about it.  Infact its so worrying I have decided thats its just a waste of time to worry about it.

We have a pond (or more a biggish hole) in our top field that we have been told is an 'eyesore' - but hey there is no water up in that field as the pressure is too low.  We have been asked to fill it in two years ago but we have heard nothing since as they are too busy trying to get us to remove other 'eyesores' and sort planning for various other building works.  The biggest thing we are in trouble for is a menage containing a few hundred tons of stones quarried from a big hole in the side of our drive.

We also cleared an old pond out last year but the planners said nothing about it - probably because they didnt notice as all that changed was the depth of the pond.

If it was a small pond I wanted I'd just go ahead and dig it or if it was making one slightly bigger I'd go ahead - but to dig one big enough for keeping trout in - I'd probably apply for permission. 

I'd also get advise from a professional about any big pond as if not done properly you could change the course of the water completely

waterhouse

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 11:45:46 am »
We only need planners to stop the bloke next door doing something stupid except that the range of stupid things that people can do without permission is vast, almost as vast as the number of interesting things that people should do but the planners won't let them.  You still see stone-clad semi-detached houses with the original brick next door.

The land adjacent to us is reputedly owned by a Mr Smith who has I think established a use as a lorry park because no-one has ever enforced against him and he does it at a very low level.  His land is green belt and on the edge of town so his game is clearly to get residential planning permission in five, ten or twenty years.  He doesn't annoy me and I don't know his address so it's let sleeping dogs lie. 

If, however, you ASK for planning permission then they're all over you like a rash.  And should permission be granted they invariably impose two conditions (at least).  One is they withdraw the General Development Order consent (so you need permission to fart in the garden) and they always keep the right to approve materials.  In our case they approved timber built stable with onduline roofing and then took ten weeks to approve the materials, at extra cost naturally.  And yes it was wood.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS