Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Frozen eggs  (Read 6283 times)

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
Frozen eggs
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:04:05 pm »
Hi chaps,

Due to the freezing weather Ive had a couple of frozen and split chicken and duck eggs would it be OK to feed these raw to my piggies?

I hate to see anything go to waste and i would imagine there would still be plenty of goodness in a frozen egg but I'm not sure if this would be advisable or if this would be harmful to the pigs :pig: :pig:

Thanks
Rob
Rob & Manda :)

HappyHippy

Re: Frozen eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:06:30 pm »
I dunno about the frozen eggs (I suppose by rights it's an animal by-product, so the answer is probably no - but not sure for certain) but my Kune Kunes don't mind the odd frozen tomato or apple these days  ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »
no you cant give them to pigs its one of the stupid rules now

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:53:07 pm »
What's the reason for not giving eggs to pigs? If they have not been in your kitchen?

After all milk is ok, if it's straight out of the goat. and eggs are not meat (at least as far as I know)?

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:59:38 pm »
salmonella poison            or dont tell anybody
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 09:01:17 pm by lillian waddell »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 09:17:34 pm »
Ok, I didn't mention eggs to the lady from AH when she asked me what my pigs are eating...

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 11:09:09 pm »
are you still allowed to feed milk, curds and whey?
plus i was told to feed them tatties, wud that be raw?

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 08:30:45 am »
They're not keen on raw tatties - but a big pot and a camping stove in a shed soon see to that  ;) (can't cook em in the kitchen  ::)) mine especially love cooked sweet potatoes - in fact, they're totally nuts about them  :yum:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 09:11:54 am »
are you still allowed to feed milk, curds and whey?

From your own holding - yes
From other holdings or sources - you need to register with defra
see
http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/movements/pigs/documents/new_owner_guide.pdf
for more details
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 06:04:03 pm »
PLEASE don't feed raw potatoes.  My friend lost a very valuable sow doing this.  Cooked are fine.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 10:58:15 am »
HM, what happened with that sow?  :o

Happy Christmas, btw!  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 01:10:10 pm »
Happy Xmas to all.

She was fed raw potatoes in her diet, they caused a compation / twisting bowel.  Very painful, huge loss. 

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 01:22:24 pm »
way back in the dark days after ww2 local boys would help out on farms and they used to comment on the lovely smell when boiling the food for the pigs quote it smelled so good i could have eaten it myself(Ronnie Corbet used to go round Edinburgh collecting Brock with a friend of his fathers)  we have feed raw potatoes to our pigs both whole and chopped up without any ill effects we do not feed potatoes now  i know that cattle have to have them chopped because they can chock

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 03:32:49 pm »
wud seem alot of work to feed them cooked, i did give them whole swedes and cabbages but they werent interested. if i was to grow veggies next year 4 them next year wot wud u recommend - that it gud for them, and that they like?

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 04:01:12 pm »
your pigs are to well fed cut the concentrate and they will eat tumshies (fact tumshies are approx 90% water but damn good water)    sweetcorn the hampshires love it maybe reminds them of home  have you been on the wine ??????????? just the spelling  now remember  i am not into texting shorthand
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 04:05:08 pm by lillian waddell »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS