Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bread  (Read 6064 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Bread
« on: November 12, 2008, 01:14:20 pm »
Does anyone make their own bread without using a bread maker. I make a couple of loaves a week which is enough for us but if I make rolls they are the kind you would get with soup. My husband would like nice soft rolls to have his bacon in. Anyone know how I do this  :)

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: Bread
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 05:52:07 pm »
Hi sabrina, I had a bread phase and thoroughly enjoyed making it, also had probs getting it light and fluffy, I let it rise twice but still came out a little heavy!  when more time is availiable will get back into it........neil

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 06:03:06 pm »
I make at least two loaves a week , but I do it with the bread maker.... ::)
http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1054/bread-machine-baps.aspx
I personally hate BAPS !!!!....give me a nice crusty roll any day..... (but each to their own  ::)) .... the above recipe is for mixing in the breadmaker but baking in the oven ....not sure how it would turn out ? but may be what you are after..... I bought some organic wholemeal spelt this week , and I am looking forward to a loaf made with that .

cheers

Russ

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 06:54:04 pm »
My hubby (who is the chef in our house ;)) makes the most gorgeous 'Irish Soda Bread'.    He uses our own Goats Milk Yogurt in it too....so its even more yummy.   ;D    Its soooooooooo easy to do and sooooooooooooo quick.......even a complete idiot could make it - Except me of course  ;D ;D ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 07:36:23 pm »
So how about sharing the receipe as you are making my mouth water.

Kaz
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 01:35:28 pm »
Thanks Russ will have a go and see how they turn out.  The soda bread with goats milk yogurt sounds very good  might give that one a go as well.  :)

Tweedle

• Joined Jul 2008
  • GMT -5
  • Callender Farms
    • Callender Farms, New Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 02:55:41 pm »
We now make all of our own bread here. I have this "thing" against bread machines so i refuse to use one. My kids also have a "thing" for store bought bread. So it took a long time to get a recipe and a bread that fit everyone’s criteria, but one day I stumbled upon this web site.

http://ayearinbread.earthandhearth.com/2007/05/t-his-bread-which-i-call-farmhouse.html

Because it makes 3 loafs,  we modify it a bit so we have whole wheat  honey, regular white, and oatmeal,  and they all come out of the same batch. I Cant say enough about this recipe it is amazing.

Plus the dough freezes well so all you have to do is pull it out warm it up and poof bread!
 :o
"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."  -Winston Churchill-

http://www.callenderfarm.com

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 06:18:46 pm »
It's a River Cottage Family Cookbook recipe....as follow:

Olive Oil or lard for greasing
250gm Plan Flour
1 level tsp salt
1 level tsp bicarb of soda
2 tsp soft brown sugar
225ml live yogurt or buttermilk.

Oven 230C/Gas 8
Grease baking sheet or loaf tin

Sift flour, salt and soda into mixing bowl and add sugar.
Stir in Buttermilk or yog using wooden spoon, then bring together into a doughy mass with your hands. It should feel soft and firm, not sticky. Add little more flour if mix is too wet.

Knead dough lightly in the bowl for 30 secs, until smooth, then shape into ball as deep as you can make it - (or bung it in a load tin). Slash a deep cross in the top of the loaf with sharp knife. (Allows bread to open out as the soda starts to work and expand the dough).

Bake in hot oven for 12 mins, then turn the oven down to 200C/Gas 6 and bake for another 15-20 mins until base of bread sounds hollow when you tap it.

For a WHEATIER loaf you can substitute wholemeal flour for some of the plain flour.

A lovely IRISH STYLE Soda bread is made with half wholemeal, half plain flour and a tblespn of porridge oats (the flaky kind) to give a crumbly texture and a mildly oaty taste.

EAT. ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS