Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selling eggs locally in wales to restaurants  (Read 1483 times)

FahransFeathers

• Joined Jan 2022
  • South Wales
    • Facebook
Selling eggs locally in wales to restaurants
« on: January 22, 2023, 03:23:14 pm »
Hi everyone,
looking to begin my journey into proper full scale  egg production officially rather than by the farm gate to a local restaurant/pub near me in wales.
what sort of requirements do i have to meet and do i have to do anything legally other than notify APHA about having more than 50 chickens, currently I've only got 6 but i used to have a poultry business in the north east where i bred and sold chickens, chicks, rare breed poultry and eggs from the gate. I used to have about 180 or so.
Do I have to meet a certain number requirement in terms of total number of chickens to be classed as commercial and be able to do this? We plan on doing a mix of hatching and buying in POL birds and having them at the moment indoors with the plan to "free range" once bird flu is over.
In regards to hatching can someone tell me what size brooder space would 50-100 chicks need and then eventual outdoor space? i only ever did small number hatches e.g 12-20 at a time previously.
do i have to have any sort of licensing, do i have to salmonella test them, or vaccinate them? can you get vaccines as a small business and is it expensive??

I know i have a lot more questions but currently i can't remember them all so just trying to do a little research here and have a look through other forums and also online and via youtube and other blog sources.

Thanks for if you've read this far , really appreciate it!

Fahran x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Selling eggs locally in wales to restaurants
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 01:48:25 pm »
Don't want to rain on your parade but I doubt bird flu will go away any time soon. So, sadly, proper full scale free range is a thing of the past I think.

From memory all eggs for sale other than at the farm gate have to be date stamped, maybe even those too, although I think friends and family are exempt

Other than that I can't help I'm afraid as I only have a few hens, but good luck with whatever you decide to do
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

FahransFeathers

• Joined Jan 2022
  • South Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 02:02:53 pm »
Hi ,
Yes I'm aware bird flu might never totally go away hence why im going to be building an indoor 60ft x 60ft barn for them when i am able to find a contractor to do so but i know they'll be able to free range at some point this year so im hoping for the best outcome for everyone. its such a shame that they have to be kept in although i know its for their safety and health, they look so wonderful out in the long grass and being free. Mine are starting to fight more with being confined and i know my cockerel isn't appreciating me getting into his "space" just to feed everyone and get the eggs.

I've read about date stamping which i can do, and i do believe i have to register as both a packing facility and processing unit too.

thankyou i appreciate you trying to give some advice!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 07:11:49 am »
you said you aim to supply A local resaurant ........  might be putting 'all your eggs in one basket'..... as the saying goes ......  what if they stop buying your eggs?  do they know eggs are not an all year round constant suppy? ... 
think about how you can sell enough to cover all the costs .... feed has doubled in price ... your local resaurant may be used to seeing £1  a half on local gates and similar in super markets .... which I think is probably half what it cost to produce these days especially with birds indoors full time....  can you sell at a price high enough to make a profit?

not trying to be a kill joy just a few important questions to think through.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 08:28:26 am »
If you want to sell to shops, restaurants, etc. you have to get a producer number from APHA and to grade you need a packer number from the same, and approval from your local authority as a food business, which means complying with HACCP and a few other things. Sounds much more difficult than it actually is. All you need to know is here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/eggs-trade-regulations
or by following links from that page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS