Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fur and feather auction near Greater Manchester  (Read 6970 times)

HunterBeaverAndSillyDog

• Joined Nov 2022
fur and feather auction near Greater Manchester
« on: November 08, 2022, 02:20:10 am »
Now I could invest in a shot gun, but then I would need to apply for a licence, then I would need to join a shooting club to learn how to hunt and shoot then I would need to find a farmer that would grant me permission to shoot on there land

Alternatively I could find a good fur and feather auction near where I live that auction off cheap game and save all of the above hassle

So any recommendation please to where I can buy cheep game?

Thanks

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: fur and feather auction near Greater Manchester
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 09:25:54 am »
Not my area but if you google livestock auctions in your area you will see what sales they hold.  At the moment there are no fur and feather sales due to the bird flu restrictions.

HunterBeaverAndSillyDog

• Joined Nov 2022
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 12:22:38 am »
Not my area but if you google livestock auctions in your area you will see what sales they hold.  At the moment there are no fur and feather sales due to the bird flu restrictions.
I did but cant find any
You mean they have shut the entire uk poultry industry down coz of it?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 11:58:26 pm »
No the entire uk poultry industry has not been shut down but holding sales or shows of poultry has been suspended.

HunterBeaverAndSillyDog

• Joined Nov 2022
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 01:03:22 am »
But the auctions are shut right? Do you know when they will reopen?

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 08:02:37 am »
Probably not for quite a while.

If it's game you are after your best bet is to try a local gamekeeper. Even if shoots are being limited they still have to control muntjac etc so you might be able to buy something direct. Be prepared to skin/prep it yourself though. Our local gamekeeper gives us things from time to time but they are whole (freshly shot). We have to prep them ourselves.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 08:25:50 am »
But the auctions are shut right? Do you know when they will reopen?

No, auctions are not shut. They just aren't able to hold poultry auctions. We are now into the highest risk time for Avian Flu so they wont we allowed to hold live bird auctions until next Spring at the earliest. This year when some of the restrictions for keepers lifted the live auction restrictions did not. So there has been no live auctions or poultry shows for several months now.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 08:28:24 am »
Probably not for quite a while.

If it's game you are after your best bet is to try a local gamekeeper. Even if shoots are being limited they still have to control muntjac etc so you might be able to buy something direct. Be prepared to skin/prep it yourself though. Our local gamekeeper gives us things from time to time but they are whole (freshly shot). We have to prep them ourselves.

Shoots are currently not under restriction so perhaps you can offer to beat on shoot days and fetch a brace or two home.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 12:45:25 pm »
I would think it will be 6 months before restrictions are lifted, that's what it's been the last couple of years.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 03:19:21 pm »
On our local estates, pheasants and grouse are dropping like flies, but they still have to keep deer population in check and rabbits are shot so as already said best thing is find an estate and offer your help, or a farmers market.
I was at Solsgirth monthly one today and there was a stall there doing a roaring trade in venison
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

LeeHambone

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 12:49:42 pm »
I'm not sure if this one is close enough to G Manc for you but there's one at Clitheroe in Lancs on a Wednesday night. They have a website for updates. They do seasonal rare breed sales of poultry too on a Saturday at various times throughout the year.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2022, 02:52:26 pm »
I'm not sure if this one is close enough to G Manc for you but there's one at Clitheroe in Lancs on a Wednesday night. They have a website for updates. They do seasonal rare breed sales of poultry too on a Saturday at various times throughout the year.

They do but not at present.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 09:03:59 pm »
Now I could invest in a shot gun, but then I would need to apply for a licence, then I would need to join a shooting club to learn how to hunt and shoot then I would need to find a farmer that would grant me permission to shoot on there land

Alternatively I could find a good fur and feather auction near where I live that auction off cheap game and save all of the above hassle

So any recommendation please to where I can buy cheep game?

Thanks
Melton Mowbray cattle market have fur and feather auction every Tuesday for centuries, but it's been closed since the first lockdown - and flockdown...
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2022, 08:15:18 am »
Game for the table, you need to contact a shoot and purchase from them.

A request for shoots close to you on facebook may help find one.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS