Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hedgetrimmers - cordless or mains?  (Read 10162 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Hedgetrimmers - cordless or mains?
« on: December 30, 2022, 10:33:40 am »
We are thinking about getting a hedgetrimmer, but have never had one before.... so which one is better electric mains or battery.

I will not consider a petrol one, as I struggle to start any of our tools that are with the cord pull. All our hedges at the moment (and in the foresee-able future) can be reached by cable/50 m extension, but I have noticed that the mains powered ones are heavier than the battery ones (surprised by that...).

My worry is that I will not be able to get a battery replacement in a few years...

Any recommendations for which make to go for (we are usually a BOSCH - preferred household, but not exclusively so)?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Hedgetrimmers - cordless or mains?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 12:30:56 pm »
We have a Stihl electric long reach, which is necessary on a deep hedge. 650W motor deals with everything we have cut, but the cable does get in the way, as with all electric garden equipment. Looking at the Stihl battery trimmer the motor wattage isn't stated, but the battery is quoted as a 75Wh and has a run time of 50 minutes, so the power of the motor is about 85W- pretty weedy. All our battery equipment has been bought for very small jobs because that's all they are capable of. You need to be aware that the batteries get hot during discharge and won't recharge immediately- we put ours in the fridge for 15 minutes first. The weight of the battery unit is only slightly less than the electric because the former weight is quoted without the battery fitted.

So it's all down the what usage it will get. There are manufacturers now that have large tool ranges using the same battery (Einhell, Ryobi), so I don't see a problem replacing theirs.

I only buy Bosch power tools, but only Stihl garden equipment up to now. Having had a Stihl motor seize on me and being unable to get repair parts I may move away from them?  Perhaps Bosch is the way to go if they have interchangeable batteries?

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 10:49:44 pm »
Had a Bosch cordless hedge trimmer for about 8 yrs.Still has original battery but the charger malfunctioned about a year ago.
Found some one on eBay who repairs the chargers for about £20 as a new charger unit can cost £80.(is it like printer cartridges) I have a lot of hedges so gets above average use.When I had the mains one I kept severing the wire .kept getting shorter.
My cordless is most useful piece of equipment... it's quite powerful.Cost over £300...originally ...think they might be same price now

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 12:41:17 pm »
I have a dewalt battery hedgetrimmer, mainly because we have various other things on same system, so have 4 batteries and charger.
But I do like it, easy to handle, battery has lights to show how much power left, easier to just pick up and whizz round a couple of hedges, no extensions to roll out, no cable to cut through (which of course I once did, with a borrowed machine!)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 01:19:36 pm »
We are still dithering, but have just bought an electric chainsaw, as we can use that with long extension lead hopefully relatively safely. Too much hassle with the petrol one all the time... But with hedges I am thinking battery is the one to go for...

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 02:20:16 pm »
My dad has a GTec battery one ..... I was amazed at what it cut ..... battery lasted well over an hour  and it is light to use above your head,
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Eeyore-77

• Joined Apr 2022
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 07:35:24 pm »
I got a cordless hedge trimmer from the middle of Lidl aisle 3-4 years ago. I think it’s the silvercrest brand. Its great. It cuts for an hour before the battery dies and the battery will charge up again in the time it takes for a cup of tea (or two). Doesn’t struggle too much cutting through branches about the thickness of a finger. It stretches out to be about 10ft long or so with an adjustable head angle.
It wasn’t too dear either but you’d have to wait for it to be back in the middle aisle again. I’d recommend it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS