Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how much hay do they need?  (Read 25707 times)

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: how much hay do they need?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 05:03:08 pm »
My wilts horn (16 ewes and a ram) get through about a small bale a day tho i feed ad lib. They have a crytalyx high energy block which they'll get through in about 2 months as the majority of my girls are 10 yrs old and need a bit extra, the younger ones don't touch it. I've got a couple of very thin old girls that get a bit of sugarbeet as i was told that was good if they've lost all their front teeth.

waterhouse

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 07:00:10 pm »
We just got ourselves a couple of hay hutches which take a small bale.  The plastic is robust and the lid stays on really well so the hay is protected from the weather and doesn't get spread around the field.  Loose hay didn't work at all and the a hay net didn't last long.  We're happy with this cos it's less work for us and the sheep don't run out of food.

http://www.hay-hutch.co.uk/acatalog/Small_Hay-Hutch.html

spikey_fridge

• Joined Mar 2010
  • stroud gloucestershire
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 12:04:24 pm »
thank you thank you thank you for the pic of the hay hutch. i've just this minute bodged up a feeder from an old plastic bin with lid for my two :) happy days.
oh and hay is 6 squid a bale round here now  :'(

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 04:42:52 pm »
Ive got one of these outside hay racks its been a real life saver, takes a bale and when the snows on the ground we fill it everyday, small amout of ewes nuts, 16%, a super lick, 20 ewes and a tup
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

spikey_fridge

• Joined Mar 2010
  • stroud gloucestershire
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 08:46:28 pm »
my two beasts. one good thing about this feeder, they can feed opposite each other and the jacob doesnt butt the other out the way. i have a large stone weighing it down so shouldnt tip over

HeronsReach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 11:28:06 pm »
I have three castlemilk moorit ewes and a ram

They have a scoop of rolls in the morning and a scoop in the evening (between all four)

When the snow covers the ground they have hay to suppliment the missing grass

The ram still jumps into the veg patch and eats the grain thrown for the hens! Gready git

But we were told not to overfeed as it causes abortion in ewes???

Can anyone let me know if there is any truth in this?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 11:59:06 pm »
Overfat ewes will probably have large lambs which could lead to birthing difficulties, or possibly a prolapse.  We had a Jacob ewe years ago who had a small or incipient prolapse ie a bulge the size of a grapefruit protruding from her vulva, but not total eversion of the lamb bed. Because of the constant stimulation of her pushing reflex, when she eventually went into labour, she no longer pushed and we had to pull the lambs.  She was probably too fat, but our current breeds - Hebridean and Soay - don't tend to get fat, so I don't know if too much condition could lead to abortion.  This year I am hearing of ewes which have aborted early on, probably due to the severe weather.

Depending on the size of your scoop, the amount of rolls you are giving seems a lot (have you weighed what they are getting?).  I would give ad lib hay throughout the winter whether there is snow lying or not (unless you live somewhere warm with masses of grass), plus a handful of rolls (or coarse sheep mix) once a day per sheep. The hay 'fills their bellies' and so keeps them warm and keeps their digestion in good order.

Castlemilk Moorits are a primitive breed so I wouldn't expect them to need large quantities of concentrates, although as with all breeds they will need some in the 6 weeks leading up to lambing.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:01:49 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS