Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Thinking of pigs  (Read 3038 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Thinking of pigs
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2022, 05:52:51 pm »
Fencing has to be paramount. I work with pigs that have been trained with electric fences and yet they are not 100% pig proof. The comment regarding barbed wire at the bottom is a good one. As Harmony has stated, ensure the posts are well driven. Pigs will love to root around them which can easily dislodge them if they are not installed correctly.

I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2022, 06:18:13 am »
I don't think electric netting will stop pigs.  Does anyone use it successfully?  The usual is the electric wire, one strand close-ish to the ground and another about 8" above that.  And regular checks all around the pen to make sure they haven't literally earthed it by rootling earth up over it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2022, 03:29:06 pm »
I don't think electric netting will stop pigs.  Does anyone use it successfully?  The usual is the electric wire, one strand close-ish to the ground and another about 8" above that.  And regular checks all around the pen to make sure they haven't literally earthed it by rootling earth up over it.

I'd agree, separate strands. Netting too easy to get tangled in. My friend used horse tape very successfully. More visible than wire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS