Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turning bitterly cold, increasing risk of heavy snow  (Read 5095 times)

bamford6

Turning bitterly cold, increasing risk of heavy snow
« on: December 16, 2010, 06:46:37 pm »
Thursday will see the change to much colder weather as a weather front sweeps down from the arctic, bringing firstly rain, and then sleet and snow, possibly leaving a covering of snow before clearer conditions return. As the front goes through the drop in temperature will be very sharp, with icy conditions quickly developing. Through Friday, and the weekend it will remain very cold. At the moment it looks as though Saturday could bring VERY heavy snowfall right across southern and central parts of Britain, leading to significant disruption. The details of this will become clearer during the next 36 hours. The cold weather is expected to continue next week with the risk of further sleet and snow, although there is the chance of some of this turning back to rain at times in southern areasFor Friday, snow showers continuing across northern and western Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and SW England, bringing further accumulations, with potential for disruption to travel. Elsewhere, it will be bright or sunny, with the odd isolated snow showers possible on the northwesterly winds. Bitterly cold everywhere with temperatures barely getting above freezing at best, with a significant wind chill in areas exposed to the northwest wind. A hard overnight frost to follow.

For the weekend, staying very cold with risk of further snow. Early Saturday morning – an area of low pressure looks to develop across the Celtic Sea, deepening as it moves east, bringing the threat of widespread and heavy snowfall spreading east across England and Wales during the day, this has the potential to cause major disruption, so keep an eye out for weather alert updates from Netweather. Across Scotland, bright and sunny though snow showers affecting costal areas. Sunday at the moment looks like being mainly dry, cold and sunny after snow clears the east first thing, though some snow showers still possible towards the coasts. Continuing cold early next week, with risk of further snow perhaps in places. There are tentative signs that it may turn less cold in the south in time for Christmas day, but low confidence in this. so wensday next week less cold and snow for new yeres day           Our tenth Christmas 2010 forecast suggests no change to the chance of snow falling on Christmas day across Britain. Chances overall are now notably higher than average, and we think there is a good chance of cold weather persisting for much of the second half of December, although there are SOME indications of milder weather returning                    have a safe christmas and new yere G Bamford

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:19:49 pm by bamford6 »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Turning bitterly cold, increasing risk of heavy snow
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:16:45 pm »
I see you've got it up there already, Gary.  Been a lovely day here temperature around 2 degrees, but it has got colder since teatime and I reckon it's on its way South to us for tomorrow dog food, cat food, chicken food and my food - enough for 4 weeks I reckon.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:39:44 pm »
its been snowing on and off alday in buckie we have got about 2 ins at the min, and its blowing a gale

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:26:17 pm »
Just back in from running a message or two & it's showing -9c on the car computor

I think i'll have another bath   :-\

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:27:40 pm »
would you like a hot water bottle for xmas???????

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 08:28:34 pm »
Yes please   :D :D

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 08:29:15 pm »
nae bother

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 08:49:42 pm »
been snowing and drifting most of the day very strong winds. its looking very snowy at the mo. please take care.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 09:42:22 pm »
Snow showers have given us a covering here in north Wales this evening. Its turned very, very cold.  Everything is frozen solid. Couldn't get the car door open earlier on.  Looks like more of the same to follow!! ???

Thanks for the report!   

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 10:35:26 am »
Its bad once again so staying at home, animals all fed and happy I can see it with only be myself and my OH for Christmas but that's ok we can be lazy  :)

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 02:15:24 pm »
Snowing heavily in lincolnshire. oh well!

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 02:19:24 pm »
Still no snow in Fife   :o

I'm beginning to feel left out   :'(

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 05:18:40 pm »
we have got a good covering of snow and drifts in places in buckie, not snowed since lunchtime but more on the way tonight apparently

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 06:27:16 pm »
Still no snow in Fife   :o

I'm beginning to feel left out   :'(
SHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 06:33:11 pm »
had 6" + of snow last night , and it has  stayed all day . More likely anytime over the next few days . It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't freeze as it does . Walking  on ice is no fun in wellies , falling over is even less fun  !!!! lol. 

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS