Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Day old laying hens wanted  (Read 2845 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Day old laying hens wanted
« on: December 16, 2010, 02:50:50 pm »
Come spring, I'm going to want day-old laying hens to expand the flock. I've been trying RA Lovett who has Black Rocks, without success. Anyone have another source in Central / NE Scotland?

princesspiggy

Re: Day old laying hens wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 03:48:16 pm »
meadowsweet rings a bell

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:50:45 pm »
they def do pol, dont know bout DO's tho

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 03:51:44 pm »
There's 2 young boys down here on the farm next to me who are very entusiastic about their chooks - I got a couple of nice cuckoo marans from them. I don't think they've got huge numbers, but they've got an incy and a lots of enthusiasm (and their granny who's kept hens all her life for back up  ;)) They sometimes sell them through the market (and hatching eggs too, I think) It's maybe a bit far Rosemary, but I could pass on your details if you want and ask them to get in touch. Is it BR's in particular you're looking for ?
Karen x

The Deliberate Smallholde

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 01:28:21 pm »
McCash's in Perth have a number of ads in the window as well as selling direct to customers. Not sure about day olds think it is mainly pullets but might be worth trying. ???

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 07:44:02 pm »
There is a smallholding in Burntisland (Fife) who are a registered seller of Black Rocks but also breed their own Black Cross and sell POL and dau old I think. I don't have a number for them though :(

ED
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 10:34:09 pm »
Ronnie and Marion just over the hill from me have about 50 (!) different breeds of chooks, they sell hatching eggs by post and also live fowl privately and via Thainstone mart in Inverurie at the rare breeds sale. They are all well cared for (have seen and ooh aaahed at them!), let me know if you want their contact details. I dont know if they specifically do day olds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS