Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Torch - favourites folk?  (Read 9396 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Torch - favourites folk?
« on: November 24, 2022, 06:45:31 pm »
Around 1994ish, mum bought me a superb Nightsearcher krypton search torch so I could see when traipsing across the fields to see the old pony and check on her cows (her cows then note!) Fabulous thing, stand in 1 spot and shine all around the boundary hedge and see eyes glow back.

It eventually died etc and was upgraded to trio 550 the 2000's some time and around 10 years ago I bought a 2nd (a bit slow here and only found out a couple of weeks ago that the 1st 550 was a ni-cad battery, the 2nd lithium, yes difference in weight but never really bothered me, as said, slow here!). 

A few years ago purchased a Nightsearcher explorer 800, wow! But here is where the problem lies.

I have a thing about torches! I like them, but I am NOT interested in any torches that you have to press the On button so many times to get the beam as to how you want. All mine, the default setting is the main beam, which is great.

Mum keeps "borrowing" my 800 and wants one, but it was discontinued several years ago. I've suggested current models of Nightsearchers but she likes mine (no, she ain't having it!)

Good strong clean beam, not too heavy, simple on/off switch, no faffing about etc preferably rechargeable with decent battery (800 is 18650 or something like that).

Any body got any ideas?

I've looked at Nebo 1000 £40.00 as it's similar'ish to mine but I don't have any history with Nebo and tend to stick with what I know.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Torch - favourites folk?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 07:36:23 pm »
I know this is a headtorch rather than hand-held, but personally I find having both hands free so valuable that when my standard torch died, I didn't replace it.

My original model Prism is eight years old and still going strong. I've replaced the lithium battery once (you're not supposed to be able to, but you can), and we also have this new updated version. It's simple and robust.

One click of the button gets you full beam and another turns it off. You can multi-click when turning it on to get lower power levels if you wish though.

Now, I posted about this headtorch before and most people said it was too expensive. However, it just works and goes on working, so still gets my recommendation.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 09:28:10 pm »
T20 off the 'Bay, I have a couple of them.

One by the back door, one for walking the hound when the nights lengthen.

I'm sure I didn't pay more than £20

That said there is a bit of outlay for 18650 batteries and a smart charger, but you may be able to scavenge the cells from broken electrical items.

The lenses can be changed with other colours if that's your requirement, the easiest way to take them apart is to use the points on a measuring caliper.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 03:25:09 pm »
 I just remembered my wind up one was in the car, so it's been brought inside   Maybe old fashioned and non hi tech but it works
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forestlens

• Joined Jul 2020
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 09:39:20 pm »
A head torch is a must, Petzl ideally. For a “torch”, torch then I’d recommend a Maglite (2cell) they’re expensive but I’ve had one for 15 years and only changed the batteries (newer ones have an LED bulb). Also useful for banging in nails, stunning intruders or dispatching small creatures!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS