Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Abattoir in Devon or Cornwall  (Read 1497 times)

MrsK

• Joined Apr 2022
Abattoir in Devon or Cornwall
« on: November 24, 2022, 12:19:04 pm »
Who do you recommend take your pigs to? 
It’s not just for the slaughter but the cutting also or are there good butchers that will collect and butcher for you?
I’m just wanting nice even cut chops not a fat one and a thin one in a pack of two and belly pork sliced chunky not cut like bacon slices!   :-\

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Abattoir in Devon or Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 04:40:10 pm »
We've used a variety but my personal favourite is Lobbs near Bodmin for slaughter, Buttons at Michaelstow for butchery.  You can arrange the whole thing through Buttons, and they will book the slots at and pick up the carcasses from Lobbs. 

But if you're asking for this side of Christmas, I doubt anyone will be able to fit you in - we normally book all our November kill and cut dates in September, or even earlier....
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

MrsK

• Joined Apr 2022
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 05:30:08 pm »
Thanks that’s really helpful.  It’s for next time.  My pigs were processed earlier this year but I was just super disappointed with the finished results and wanted an alternative.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2022, 07:44:13 am »
In my experience you have to make a very specific cutting list for the butcher to ensure there are no misunderstandings over how you want the meat cut. Also it's helpful to go and see the carcasses hanging prior to cutting and talk through your requirements with the butcher. A good butcher should be happy to do this with you. We always go and look at our meat prior to cutting. It's also a good way of learning if your rearing methods have paid off with regard to whether or not your animals are too fat etc.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2022, 04:42:42 pm »
In my experience you have to make a very specific cutting list for the butcher to ensure there are no misunderstandings over how you want the meat cut. Also it's helpful to go and see the carcasses hanging prior to cutting and talk through your requirements with the butcher. A good butcher should be happy to do this with you. We always go and look at our meat prior to cutting. It's also a good way of learning if your rearing methods have paid off with regard to whether or not your animals are too fat etc.
This 100%  our butcher talked through the "cutting plan" then I watched and learnt as he cut it, and for the first time in ages I had rind on bacon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS