Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Water Sterilising  (Read 2501 times)

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
Water Sterilising
« on: November 09, 2022, 04:47:17 pm »
Hi.   Has anybody used sterilising tablets in their bowsers to make the water potable? I 'm talking about the small ones that are used for camping etc. to make sure any water is safe to drink.  I'm thinking that if they're used for human consumption then they should be OK but just want to check in case they contain any chemical inimical to livestock.  Mind you in a 1000 litre bowser the dosage would be 200 tablets.

Also, does anyone run their goats with their sheep?  I know it's advised to keep them separate but if they are both closed flocks does that make a difference?  Many thanks in anticipation

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Water Sterilising
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 09:06:09 pm »
wrt to keeping goats and sheep together - if you know that both goats and sheep are worm free, you do not have problems with fluke, foot rot and they stay on clean land to which no other sheep (they are more likely causing problems for the goats rather than the other way round)  then no there should not be a problem. Goats would still go inside overnight with sheep staying out? I would then keep a copper lick inside the goatshed, and a general one outside for both sheep and goats. If you feed any concentrate to the sheep (and a different one to the goats) then you would have to feed separately as well.... so yes possible, but needs some planning beforehand.

If however you want to sell your goats as CAE free (and test annually for it), then you cannot run your goats with untested sheep- so you would have to include them in your testing regime.

Festus

• Joined Jan 2019
Re: Water Sterilising
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 06:25:19 am »
Many thanks Anke. That's interesting.  My goats have a separate enclosure so I was just wondering about opening the gate during the day so they could have access to more hedges and general browsing.  No worms, fluke and it is a closed flock of sheep but I do test for CAE.  End of that ideac :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS