Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: injectable antibiotic for chickens?  (Read 3087 times)

Raspberry Pie

• Joined Apr 2022
injectable antibiotic for chickens?
« on: November 04, 2022, 10:30:41 am »
I've been googling away and have found that some people seem to use an oxytetracycline injectable antibiotic for chickens, but theres not enough information avaiable for me to work out dosage / type.
I have a bottle of Alamycin LA (which is oxytetracycline), has anyone used something like this to help a sick hen? And if so, how much? I'm confident about doing IM / SC jabs.

I've never had success using the powdered stuff you add to water - by the time they are that ill, the hens don't seem to drink enough, and squirting it down their throats only seems to risk drowning them...

I have a favourite hen who has gone downhill, she is probably on her way out - very thin now and won't stand up. She is about 6 years old - but tough as nails, as she survived both her sides being torn open by an over-eager cockerel six months ago - she bounced back really well despite looking like something from a horror movie. (isolation, TLC, and Engemycin spray). This is something else though - and I'd like to give her a chance at fighting whatever it is off by giving her a shot of anti-bs as I have some Alasmycin in stock anyway....

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: injectable antibiotic for chickens?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 07:45:23 pm »
I have used alamycin in ducks, for a duck with bumble foot, which did respond to it. But that was on advice from our farm vet who also advised about egg withdrawal. Not used it in chickens though.

Raspberry Pie

• Joined Apr 2022
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 04:49:14 pm »
Thanks!
I tried it (1ml under the skin) and so far so good. Kept her in a box in the warm with tasty treats for a couple of days and put her back out today. Fingers crossed. She was on her feet and pecking, but lay there looking sorry for herself when the cockerel tried to mount her. We’ll see. She’s still very thin. Egg withdrawal not an issue as I don’t think she’s laid anything for a while.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 07:15:47 pm »
Why have you put her back in with the cockerel or even other hens?

While I would never try and keep a badly injured 6yo chicken alive, nor using AB's without a medical reason or vet prescription(or even advice), she certainly needs to be kept away from the flock - the others will see her as weak and are more likely to injure/kill her. At least that is what I have observed in my hens...

Also the dose rate for Alamycin is 1ml per 10kg bodyweight (for sheep and goats)... so you probably massively overdosed her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS