Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ivor Williams sheep trailer  (Read 5699 times)

waterhouse

Ivor Williams sheep trailer
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:17:36 pm »
I have a small unbraked IW trailer.  Inside the loading ramp there's a pair of overlapping gates that form sides to the ramp.  These are held in place by drop-in pegs at the top hinge, made from pieces of tube with a nut and bolt preventing the tube from dropping.

Problem is that these pegs fall out while travelling and let the gates fall onto the sheep.

IWT says no-one else has found the problem.  The dealer seems confused.

Is there a solution, or is my trailer put together incorrectly?

robert waddell

Re: Ivor Williams sheep trailer
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 10:55:35 pm »
my dp7 does the same will have a look and tell you what i did to stop it

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 08:20:03 pm »
My I W cattle trailer did it as well. Don't know what other half did to stop it so will ask him. Had forgotten all about it  till you mentioned it.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:24:43 pm »
the l shaped bracket that holds the gate on has a gap from the top of the gate to the bracket cut a suitable spacer from plastic water pipe and insert that stops the gate jumping up and falling down

waterhouse

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 12:04:13 am »
Thats great, thank you very much.  Odd that IWT who generally make such good kit have cocked-up on this.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 04:50:28 pm »
we havent had that prob with our one but will check it after you raise this!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 06:30:49 pm »
You would know if you had this problem as every time you use the trailer you find the ramp gate on the floor, or leaning on the animal(s) you are transporting!
Rules are made:

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 10:41:24 pm »
i cannot picture the problem but i maybe completely off the plot but if its a pin  so to speak can you not  drill a hole through and put a piece of wire/nail through would that stop the problem? or am i off 100%. sorry if im wrong

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 08:41:36 pm »
Well I think it must have been fairly easy to fix as OH sorted it and it hasn't happened since.
Rules are made:

waterhouse

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 04:47:57 pm »
It looks fairly easy to fix, though you can't use a linch pin for the job. My question was more whether I was missing something on the trailer.  My IW 510 horsebox is 15 yo and will probably last another 50. It all just works (albeit the new ones look smarter) so I was surprised that the company would make something shoddy and not fit for purpose.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 05:33:14 pm »
you have to remember the canopy can come of to make a box trailer ours was accident damaged when purchased then re aliened i think IE is the only company to buck the recession but all companies have slight offs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 09:43:43 pm »
We had the same problem, OH just put some mild steel fencing wire across the top, problem solved!

Not sure IW is the best livestock trailer around, but it is the best for us in terms of flexibility, as the top comes off and trailer can be used with high mesh for transporting all sorts of things! It also just about fits a large bale of straw/hay on it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS