Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking to breed rare breed chucks help wanted please  (Read 6119 times)

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Looking to breed rare breed chucks help wanted please
« on: December 12, 2010, 07:44:01 pm »
Hi folks,

I am thinking about getting some chickens to go along side my pigs in the spring,but I have never kept chickens so knowledge is nill!

I would like some kind of return from them so I was thinking...rare breeds, good old English chucks that maybe on some kind of endangered list or is that too much to soon?!

I'm thinking maybe a dozen birds for now....

All advice greatly appreciated

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Looking to breed rare breed chucks help wanted please
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:05:05 pm »
look here for a list of rare breeds

http://www.rbst.org.uk/watch-list/poultry

can't comment on how much profit there might be .... we haven't sold all our cockerels yet!
Little Blue

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 08:11:06 pm »
Thanks for the link

I dont imagine I'm going to make a fortune from them but if they could pay for themselves that would be a bonus!! I don't want to be buying something that I can't get rid of,also helping the rare breed population sounds a good thing to do.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:42:53 pm »
Depends what you want to sell - eggs (go for hybrids, like Black Rocks, and you are in with a chance that you  break even), but if it is stock you try and sell - unlikely that you see much profit. Half your offspring at least is male - look around the forum - how many adverts do you see for cockerel FREE to a good home?. Also the rarer the breed to smaller the number of eggs they lay, so again not that many chooks to sell...

If you are selling one of the traditional breeds (Marans, RIR, Lt Sussex), you will find it easier to get customers, as people know what they are, can do and how they behave. If a rare breed takes your fancy- and you really, really like them - go for it, but it will be a hobby with some payback, rather than a sound business to pay the mortgage.

If you are completely new to keeping poultry - starting off with a more generally available breed will make it easier to source stock, learn about keeping hens and looking at the business case.

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 08:54:26 pm »
Thanks For the advice Anke,

I actually fancy sultans....what gorgeous looking birds they are!!

I would like eggs for breakfast but at the same time would like to breed some rare birds too, sourcing maybe a problem I guess!

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 08:59:05 pm »
The rbst is so out of touch with what is endangered they are endangered themselves. I think the list of poultry at risk was written by a complete idiot without any knowlage whatsoever about the poultry of the UK.

Poultry keeping is a hobby (unless your deluding yourself or a large commercial outfit) There is no profit to be made.

The capital outlay at set-up is high or should be if you do it correctly. Buy cheap houses and rue the day.
Pointless buying rubbish birds to breed more rubbish, as the market is already flooded with sub-standard birds.

You will get all sorts of suggestions about which breed to get and here's mine.

French Copper Marans (feathered feet) that lay a good dark egg that always sell well and first.

Usually a good market for birds for sale and sell around £25/30 each for a good quality POL.

Much more advice on my web site for new keepers.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 09:53:29 pm »
Cheers for that castle farm,

Those French copper marans are very handsome indeed!!

You have a very interesting and helpful website

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 06:56:48 pm »
choose a breed that you really like, it might take you a few attempts as each breed has different looks and characters, so if you choose pedigree stock at beginning, they are easier to sell if they are not for you. plus they have to fit in with your set-up and everyones farm is unique. its such a nice feeling to look at your chooks and really like them. it makes it all worthwhile. you could choose a few different breeds of hatching eggs, rear them, choose the breed you prefer and sell the rest to good homes. 

cluckingnuts

• Joined Oct 2010
  • llyn peninsula
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 10:06:43 am »
Whatever breed you choose and whether for utility or show, breed your own strain by not keep bringing in new birds + being ruthless in the ones that you keep for future breeding.

bamford6

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 10:58:35 am »
well said best pens feed and birds this is the new nerserey i built in may/ 28 foot long no profit for yeres
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:02:20 am by bamford6 »

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 01:47:27 pm »
There is no profit in poultry unless on a large scale. Mine just about keep themselves but what a lot of fun they are and such characters! :chook:

Browntea

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 07:21:23 pm »
Thanks for all your advice folks

Henstock

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 09:25:13 pm »
Mine just about keep themselves

:D  I wish mine did!!! :o They are definitely an expensive hobby!!! :-\ But I love them!!  :love:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 09:28:31 am »
Hi Browntea,

unfortunatly you have just missed the national poultry show in Nov. This would have given you a chance to see a great range of breed at their best and talk to some breeders. It quite hard to choose at first as there are so many attractive breeds.

I felt a bit like you when I set out to get some chickens. As a novice, the decision as to wether or not to keep chickens seemed a big enough one but once I had decided to give it a go the options seemed endless! Once I started looking into buying chickens the questions kept coming...,
Large fowl or bantam?
Egg production or Brooding?
Show bird or utility?
Pure beed or hybrid?
Featherd feet or clean legged?
Rare breed or rescue?
Egg colour or size?

I had limited space at the time and lived in a residential area so I wanted a small and attractive hen house and run with a handful of quiet pretty birds who wouldnt annoy the neighbours or trash the garden. The eggs were really just an added bonus from some facinating and atractive pets that brought the garden to life. I suppose they were a poormans peacocks ;D
  I started off with one of each of a few breeds based on what was available at the time of year as I was itching to get going. In hind sight this ment that I didnt have much choice and had to wait months for my first egg. It did allow me to build up my experience though and help me work out which breeds I preffered. I decided that a calm and docile nature was as important to me as fancy feathers as I really enjoy hens that like being around me when I am out in  the garden. I loved the way that some breeds would come and sit with me at the garden table when I stopped for a cup of tea and have a nap in the sun.  Or follow me round when I was digging and take worms from my hand.

I chose bantams initially as I only had a garden and a very lovely one at that. The small birds didnt damage the lawn or the established plants and took up little space. When I moved house and gained much more space I was still smitten by my bantams and decided that I wanted to get a cockerel and breed my own. I really fancied silver laced wyandottes but struggled to get hold of some locally at the time. In the process of asking around I ended up taking on some rare breed Blue Croad Langshans. I really liked their docile nature and their lovely U shape as well as their large dark eye. The Blues are not accepted as show standard but I love them and am not interested in showing my birds.

I'm not going to suggest a breed as I think that it is a personal choice but if you have space then buy a selection and keep a few breeds that you like but if you intend to breed then you may want to consider a breed which is good at brooding such as sussex or silkies though if you plan you use an incubator then a breed which has a better hatch rate in incubator conditions such as welsummer or light sussex may be worth considering.

Good luck with whaterver you decide to get and rest assured that what every you pick, you will fall in love with them.

Buffy

moorlander

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Staffordshire Moorlands, UK
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 08:32:12 pm »
Loads of rare breeds to choose from. If you are looking for British then Scots Greys are hardy and friendly and Norfolk Greys are very endangered. Not so long ago there were only three!! I've found Norfolks a bit more timid but perhaps that is not general - both are lovely birds and you can get piccies of them and info on teh net.

Best of luck whatever you try
paul

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS