Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mutton from 3 yr old ewes - prices for meat boxes?  (Read 2266 times)

vegpatch

• Joined Oct 2016
Mutton from 3 yr old ewes - prices for meat boxes?
« on: November 09, 2022, 04:09:56 pm »
I have 2 three year old ewes going for slaughter shortly.  I've not done mutton before so wondering about how to price it. Do people normally price their mutton more cheaply than lamb?

I have loyal lamb customers queuing up to take the extra meat that we don't want so I'm not worried about getting rid of it - but I'd like an idea of what might be a fair price.  Any thoughts/advice most welcome.  Thanks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Mutton from 3 yr old ewes - prices for meat boxes?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 06:14:31 pm »
Mutton is a wonderful and rare commodity.  By your language you are putting it down.  'Getting rid of it'!  Cheaper than lamb?

There are 2 kinds of mutton, that produced from ancient scrawny old sheep, and that produced from 2 or 3 yo animals.  Even meat from ancient ewes is good if cooked properly (very slowly).  Your ewes come into the young category.

I have only sold mutton or rather Hogget, from 16 month old males and I charge a good market price for it.  However, I mostly produce meat only for home consumption as a side effect of lambing for breeding stock. I have never sold ancient sheep mutton - I prize it too much.

So find out more about mutton, learn how to cook it (folk on here have lovely recipes and advice) then go out and sell your product with pride and for a good price, if you decide to sell it at all after you have tried it.

In fact I tend to get only the gigot from older ewes and have all the rest minced so I can make it into burgers, sausages, or cook it as mince. Mutton can take strong flavours such as garlic, chilli, North African spices and so on, rather than light herbs.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 06:16:39 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

vegpatch

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 06:29:03 pm »
Very sorry Fleecewife - I didn't mean to denigrate mutton at all.  Personally I love it.  I just meant that I didn't think I needed to make it extra cheap to be able to sell it (because I have people who will happily buy it from me). 

Locally I've only found one person who sells mutton boxes and their mutton boxes are cheaper than their lamb boxes - hence the query.

:)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 07:30:52 pm »
Cull ewe prices are strong at the moment… probably stronger than lamb prices. So don’t price yourself too short. Work out what they’d be in market, add on the kill and cut charge, then add a bit for the hassle.

vegpatch

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 07:53:52 pm »
Thanks Twizzel, that's very helpful - hadn't thought of that.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS