Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What should I do with this animal?  (Read 2321 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
What should I do with this animal?
« on: October 29, 2022, 06:20:21 pm »
A small sheep ( welsh mountain?) with a dirty and bedraggled fleece and no ear tags  or obvious markings has been wandering in the lanes and gateways around our house. I have steeled myself and ignored it for a couple of weeks but finally put it in a small (1/4 acre) empty grassed area - really to avoid it being in a collision with a vehicle. I am guessing it is from this years lambing although to my untrained eye the fleece is quite long.  I have spoken to some of my immediate neighbours, who must have seen it too, but probably would just not have a free pocket of empty fenced grazing as we happen to have, but no one yet claims to own it (or owns up to owning it!) or has volunteered to take it from me!!!
I don’t want a lone sheep.
What can I do with it and what on earth should I give apart from grazing in the meantime ??

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: What should I do with this animal?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 07:40:40 pm »
……and a water trough obviously!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 09:22:11 pm »
Do you have a freezer? (only half joking)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 09:35:05 am »
You could keep it and get it a friend but it is going to need attention which equals cost.

Ring animal health tell them and ask them to sort it out.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 09:36:58 am »
It may well have fallen off the back of a truck (almost literally), as in left in a field from a gather and now wandering around. Does it have holes from ear tags, or never been tagged? If never tagged, most likely a lamb from this year. If tags have been removed it may well be a bottle lamb (esp if quite tame and not afraid of humans) that has outgrown its cuteness factor...

If you want to keep it, first check what the sex is, and then get it a suitable companion - two companions (as in not female if you are dealing with an entire male or even a wethered male), worm/fluke/scab-treat it straight away (and any companions too on arrival).You will need to get ear tags sorted, and if you don't have a flock of your own that could entail a considerable amount of paperwork for a lost sheep that may just keel over any minute....

So, tbh, if you have the means for home slaughter I would seriously consider it (you cannot use an abattoir without a tag and all the paperwork that comes with it), or you become a sheep farmer...

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2022, 09:58:24 am »
RSPCA

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 07:57:31 pm »
Well … I thought I knew where the ewe had come from and ( truthfully) told the farmer I could rehome it - fastest recovery ever!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS