Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding during tupping  (Read 1580 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Feeding during tupping
« on: October 21, 2022, 09:00:04 am »
Quick question
   When I put the tup with the ewes in November what can I feed them grass is quite poor this year and ewes are all ready on hay and ewe pellets,  the tup is on hay and ram and lamb corse mix  , what can I feed when they are together? Thanks

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Feeding during tupping
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 09:59:15 am »
Mine get energy buckets at tupping. Or if you want to carry on feeding cake, just feed what you’re feeding the ram to the ewes as well. They need plenty of energy at tupping.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 10:02:51 am »
Mine get energy buckets at tupping. Or if you want to carry on feeding cake, just feed what you’re feeding the ram to the ewes as well. They need plenty of energy at tupping.
What buckets do you feed ? Thanks

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 12:46:56 pm »
We feed them all Carr's Champion Tup and Lamb, which is a coarse mix.  It's not a high protein feed though so if your ewes are a big commercial breed then this would not be enough.  It's all we ever give our Heb ewes though as they don't need high protein at all, even coming up to lambing.  Carry on with the ad lib hay and the other usual stuff.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 02:14:43 pm »
What buckets do you feed ? Thanks

Normally downland optilix or Maxx energy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS