Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raddel powder  (Read 1502 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Raddel powder
« on: October 08, 2022, 11:50:13 am »
Quick question just bought some radle powder ready for November,  on the tub it says mix with oil ,,,, is that cooking oil ?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Raddel powder
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 12:24:13 pm »
Any oil you like.  A lot of farmers use used engine oil!  But I think cooking oil is probably kinder to the ram's skin ;).

When you mix it, use a lot less oil than you think, you want a thick gloopy consistency.  If it's too wet and runny, it just runs down his legs and doesn't colour the ewes.  Rub it well into his chest wool and belly wool between his front legs and down towards his navel, not as far down as his willy though. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 06:42:10 pm »
Vegetable or sunflower oil. It needs to be a thick paste like Sally said, and rub it right into his chest wool. It’ll need topping up depending how many ewes you have, and best applied with a arm length ai glove.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 08:46:50 am »
Don't use the best olive oil, even though nothing else is handy at the time. It makes you very unpopular with the chef of the household. It did really stick to the tup though..... :eyelashes:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2022, 09:55:22 am »
Also don't leave the tub with the lid off.

Our cat was  :poo:  yellow for days  ;D 
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 11:46:03 am »
Also don't leave the tub with the lid off.

Our cat was  :poo:  yellow for days  ;D

:roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 01:24:09 pm »
I use sunflower oil. First time I ever made up the paste, blimey! I was told just bung 2 dollops into tub and stir. By the time I had finished I must have used a good 3rd of the powder (1kg tub) as too much liquid = slop!

I think this is my 4th yr (could be 3rd) using powder and am NEVER going  back to a harness!

Lad currently on Orange (yellow & red) and the ewe he's had is perfectly marked! I say that with a smile as she's a good few inches taller than him (also one of the evil wild Wiltshires!). 1 down, 3 to go..........

Got a Shetland due On in another week (DD off, Sh on) and hope he'll get the other 9 and any of the 3 WH the Dorset doesn't get.
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS