Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Monster ash-like tree ID  (Read 7112 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Monster ash-like tree ID
« on: September 23, 2022, 01:22:59 pm »
I'm house/doggy-minding right now &, while sizing up the amount of plum tree suckering into next door's  garden, I came across a large tree with monster, sort-of, ash-like foliage right next to an Ash. Attached pics show the two trees' leaves and terminal buds.  (The apples were used as "paper-weights" due to a breeze - the largest apple is roughly 3.5" in width for dimensional reference.) 
I'm really stumped by this one - any ideas about the big one please?

[In passing: surprising what one can come across when in a new environment !? 
Besides the "interesting!" conversation with an abattoir worker/butcher while walking "our" dogs thro' the plantation (e.g. where is all that Alpaca meat ending up?), I've discovered a wasp nest int' garden with SO MANY wasps going/coming back & forth that I can hardly believe - it's like wasp rush-hour on "the tube".  And the elderly neighbour likes to keep a light on 'til late in the back yard:  I've noticed that the light is attracting hornets along with a plethora of other insects.  I was warned there was a hornet nest somewhere nearby, but now I'm wondering why they are out so late (in the dark):  why are they out and about at night (?)  - are they really on the prowl all day and night for meaty prey (?) or is the nest so close that the night-light is affecting their flight-times and they are reacting just like, for example, moths?  Well, Packhamites, what ya reckon ?]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 02:52:39 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Monster ash-like tree ID
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 12:45:39 am »
Well I daren't express an opinion on this one  :roflanim:

As for hornets, I was stung by one when I was a Fresher and it blooming hurt so I've stayed as far away from them since then as I can.
All these unnecessary lights at night infuriate me.  Why do they all have to point upwards to illuminate space?  You could well be right that the light being on at night is disrupting the hornets' normal diurnal behaviour.  Is the wasps' behaviour in response to the proximity of the hornets and even the light?

How about an Oregon Ash? They are found in the UK. The underside of the leaflets is white and woolly.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 12:58:22 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 08:02:29 pm »
Well I daren't express an opinion on this one  :roflanim:

As for hornets, I was stung by one when I was a Fresher and it blooming hurt so I've stayed as far away from them since then as I can.
All these unnecessary lights at night infuriate me.  Why do they all have to point upwards to illuminate space?  You could well be right that the light being on at night is disrupting the hornets' normal diurnal behaviour.  Is the wasps' behaviour in response to the proximity of the hornets and even the light?
How about an Oregon Ash? They are found in the UK. The underside of the leaflets is white and woolly.

Leaflets white and woolly underneath you say:  I don't think they are, but I will double-check 2mor.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 12:11:40 pm »
Wow that’s such a cool tree. What are the apples like inside? What do they taste like?
I had wondered if walnut as they can look like ash but if apple like fruit seems unlikely.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 12:18:06 pm »
Re read. I hadn’t read your question, thought the apples were on the monster tree.  :coat:

English walnut. Smell the leaves, should smell like turpentine. Does it have fruit on it? Been a good year for them.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 07:21:22 pm »
It's a walnut ! 
I'm now told that next-door's gardener has identified it as an "English Walnut".  So, what-ever its nationality (!), its walnutiness sorted.  I've yet to have the leaves sniffed for a full verification, but thanks for all comments.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:25:32 pm by arobwk »

Glencairn

• Joined Jun 2017
  • Dumfriesshire
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 10:24:22 am »

I was given a walnut to plant in my woodland a couple of months ago.

Its a bit colder in Scotland than it is in Cornwall so it's starting to lose its leaves for the winter.

There are dark buds and the nature of the stems is fibrous beneath a thin bark skin.

I also seem to have inherited walnut leaf gall, but will obviously be planting it out when its not in leaf so am hoping this might give it a fresh start.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2022, 10:49:55 am »
Our walnut has longer but narrower leaves, so in-between the ash and the English walnut. It's also developed those brown spots on the leaves, which are not far off dropping anyway.

I remember being told of a German couple who bought a house in a French village. It had an enormous walnut tree which they immediately had felled- the wood is valuable, being used for furniture and gun stocks among other things.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS