Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using stable for ducks  (Read 2156 times)

KirinChris

• Joined Apr 2022
  • Bishop Auckland, Durham
Using stable for ducks
« on: September 30, 2022, 11:16:57 am »
Having just moved onto our smallholding we have much to do, but a quick win seems to be using one of the existing stables for some ducks. We're only looking to have 5-6, just for eggs.

There is a stable which opens to a field, not onto the stable yard so we wouldn't really use it for horses anyway. And should we need to we could easily add a covered run area outside.

Would I need anything inside to cover the concrete floor - apart from straw. And should I put some crates or nest boxes in there, or will they be happy with just the bedding?

It's big enough that we can put some water and feed on one side and bedding on the other.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: Using stable for ducks
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 11:25:59 am »
Just straw will be fine. They don't need nest boxes. My ducks sleep in a stable too. It's handy as they lay first thing in the morning so eggs are there to be collected when I let them out. Don't leave food or water in the stable though, as the feed will attract rats (a food source under cover and out of sight is rat heaven) and the ducks will just make a huge wet mess with the water. Put that outside in the field, or in a covered pen if you are under bird flu restrictions.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS