Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for advice on feeding  (Read 2791 times)

MrsGreystoneFarm

• Joined Sep 2022
Looking for advice on feeding
« on: September 16, 2022, 09:02:53 pm »
Hello all,
Newbie looking for advice! We have just bought three beautiful Boer girls; mum and her two year old daughters. They are in excellent condition and I'd like to keep them this way. I'm aware that we're coming up to winter so wondered if everyone could share their summer and winter feeding plans.
I currently have them on natural grass grazing, along with hay whoch has been baled from our own land, some alfa a and pony nuts as this is what the previous owner fed.
I'd be extremely grateful for specific feeds and amounts!

Thank you!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Looking for advice on feeding
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 07:14:23 am »
If these are kept as pets (as opposed to being reared for meat as Boer goats normally are), then I would only feed minimal concentrates and keep them mainly on hay, branches and in winter just a low protein concentrates like oats and sugar beet pellets (soaked). I assume they would still need access to a lick containing copper, like the (formerly) Red Rockies.

If these are the start of a herd for meat production, then you will get probably better advice from someone already doing them (I have dairy goats) or the Boer Goat Society.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS