Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tree ID please  (Read 7436 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Tree ID please
« on: September 12, 2022, 08:40:39 am »
We have just moved and I want to clear some of the trees and hopefully use some for firewood.
Not sure what this one is with its three leaves and has something similar to seed pods like mangetout

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Tree ID please
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 08:50:05 am »
My first thought was some variety of Catalpa?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 02:26:38 pm »
A "laburnum" or something closely related ??
If laburnum, as you might know, seeds are very poisonous.

I'm going to bet on Laburnum, but, whatever, it would seem to be a choice between keeping the tree or keeping the greenhouse judging by photos !
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 04:23:56 pm by arobwk »

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 02:26:59 pm »
Thanks. It is definitely coming down . It has already knocked over the trellis and it’s in an area where I am looking to put quail. So the last place for poisonous seeds to fall.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 03:54:22 pm »
I once "inherited" a semi-mature laburnum, but it was eventually blown over:  it had obviously been poorly planted as the root-ball was just that - a ball of tightly-bound roots.  The heart-wood, though, was a fabulous colour.
A double-check on toxicity says that flowers and leaves also toxic !  (How toxic I wouldn't know.)

Edit: the heart-wood really is quite dark and lovely - I wonder [member=162324]Alex_[/member] whether a fine wood-worker or luthier might want the trunk to store & age. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 08:31:08 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 12:23:01 am »
Doesn't look like a Laburnum to me but I've no idea what it is. 
We planted three Laburnums in our first garden (suburban) then plaited them together as they grew.  They were looking lovely by the time we moved.  I wonder if they have been cut down - they would be about 45 years old now.
At the time there wasn't the panic about toxic plants and trees that there is now because, let's face it, kids just don't go round eating bits of tree unless they have a specific pathology, but now anything doubtful goes. I can see that if it is Laburnum then poultry might very well eat the seeds.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 01:44:49 pm »
Why you say it not look like laburnum [member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] ?  I was/am 95%+ sure on Laburnum, but what else might it be ?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 08:16:59 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 12:34:02 am »
Why you say it not look like laburnum [member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] ?  I was/am 95%+ sure on Laburnum, but what else might it be ?

It's about 45 years since we had our triple laburnum and clearly my brain isn't functioning  ::)  I remembered the leaves as being narrower but when I looked it up I found that you are probably right [member=152775]arobwk[/member], it's a laburnum  :D
Witness the decomposition of the human brain in real time  :eyelashes: . My excuse is that I haven't seen a laburnam in the intervening 45 years  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS