Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: why are you an "Accidental Smallholder?"  (Read 13347 times)

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
Re: why are you an "Accidental Smallholder?"
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 07:37:36 pm »
Born under Heathrow in a maisonette, only child of a teacher and a brick layer. Went to a London art college, toured the country in a not famous rock band, became a teacher, Escaped to the country, brought some chickens and suddenly felt like I had found myself. Now OH and I own three acres and get more militant and determined to be self reliant the older we get. I keep finding things out that make me angry - mass vaccination programmes, fluride in the water, growth hormones in the supermarket food, I could go on ,,, but wont. Being a smallholder gives me back just a little bit of power over my own density destiny. Meantime I subtly alter the minds of the young people i teach and encourage them to ask more questions and not swallow everything they are encouraged to consume.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2017, 10:38:09 pm »
Just found this thread again by accident - any more of you want to tell your story?  Makes great reading
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 11:03:03 pm »
I loved the programme The Good Life and wanted for years to give it a go. Always enjoyed growing my own veg and, when I moved to a Scottish island, I had hens and ducks. I did want a goat (after learning to milk a friend's) but my then husband wouldn't allow it. Now I am doing my Good Life bit with goats in my garden and growing fruit and veg. I never did make it as far as getting a smallholding but my micro holding is my pride and joy.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2017, 10:04:16 am »
Not a drop of farming blood, but I have always liked animals and I like food. These sort of converged to a point where I'm growing food and working with a beef herd now.
 :farmer:

Steel

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 08:32:42 am »
Born and bred in a victorian London terrace to clean parents who despaired of a daughter that liked getting muddy. Taken to my Aunt's sheep and cattle farm in Wales for all of my school holidays while growing up, where I got to experience lambing, shearing, dipping, hay and strawmaking, etc. Lost touch with it all in my mid to late teens when i discovered boys and booze.

Was introduced to food growing in my late 20s after visiting a work colleague's house and admiring her strawberry patch. She dug up two plants and I stuck them on the windowsill of my rented first floor flat and over the months that followed I caught the growing bug. I had a huge bay window so tried growing whatever I could, including herbs, dwarf green beans, beetroot, carrots and mini sweetcorn (talk about enthusiastic!) in massive tubs. I have fond memories of visiting B&Q every evening on the walk home from work to pick up tiny bags of compost.

I outgrew the flat, literally, and ended up moving from to a house with a garden, but the landlord didn't want me growing veggies in the borders so I got a local handyman to knock up two 5x2 foot wheeled containers and I practiced square foot gardening in them. I learnt about foraging and scoured the canal paths and footpaths in the area for hedgerow fruits that I could preserve. I took on an allotment but hated traipsing backward and forward with my tools (i didn't have car) and not having any cover from the elements (sheds were not allowed) plus there was a public right of way through it so produce kept going missing.

After I met my husband, we came across, quite by accident, a very run down three-bed ex council house with a 1/4 acre back garden and decided to renovate it. We grew our own fruit and veg and kept chickens and ducks, practiced preserving, baking, rural skills, as we slowly restored it. Then at the beginning of 2016 we got wind of a massive warehouse development planned just outside the village, so large it would join two rural villages together. By then his hobby had pretty much used up all the available space on the property and I wanted to keep bigger animals so we decided to move.

We'd visited this area before on holiday and loved it so decided to find a farm or smallholding up here. We found this place, again quite by accident, fell in love with it and that was that. Although it was only 1.5 acres, the house was a 20 year old self build and immaculate, and it came with victorian brick barns in good condition and a half acre paddock with mature fruit trees.

There are no veg beds here, so I've started square foot gardening on the patio using pallet collars, and am working on introducing proper veg beds into the paddock, with the help of the chickens who are clearing a large rectangular area every few months. In time we'll acquire some more land and maybe expand, but for the moment we're focused on doing something new and major every year (this year pigs next year sheep) and building up slowly. We still have full time jobs, but i work from home so i can keep an eye on animals during the day and do a bit here and there.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:34:49 am by Steel »

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2017, 11:16:33 pm »
Not accidental at all, but definitely not expected by friends and family.

I grew up in the East End of London with a love of animals and nature. As a kid my sister grew veggies in the garden, so I guess I maybe got a bit of the bug from her. I dreamed of being a vet but my grades weren't quite there. I went into the biological sciences instead. I discovered paganism and it rang with my soul, I became more interested in connecting with the land around me, more interested in where my food came from. I finished uni, got a job and then a masters and all the while dreamed of having a bit of land with no real form to the idea. I learnt about brewing and foraging in the meantime. I moved to Scotland for a PhD and had my first ever contact with sheep, I promptly fell in love with the idea of having some. I started picking up other skills, mainly crafting with wool. Finally, when the PhD was done we managed to make the dream a reality with 2.5 acres in Lincolnshire. We have sheep and geese and chickens, grow our own fruit and veg, eat our own meat and buy from other smallholders, make our own preserves and brew and juice. We aren't self sufficient yet, especially not in chicken, but we are getting there. My food shops are starting to contain more sugar, vinegar and seasonings than veg and meat. We really need some kind of dairy animal though as a lot of our shop is dairy. I'm loving the change in life and that my 2 year old is growing up in a completely different way than I did. I'm lucky I found a supportive husband who agreed that we can go on this crazy venture together. My family don't all get it (my mum thinks I should pay someone to come in and look after the animals for me and do all the heavy work as well). I still look at places with more land, maybe one day we will move and be able to get ourselves more large livestock but for now this is home.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS