Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poultry processing  (Read 2373 times)

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
poultry processing
« on: September 08, 2022, 07:40:49 am »
i bought meat birds with every intention of putting my big girl pants on. nope not gonna dont wanna do it. but, i want the meat for my kids.

im looking for where i can send the birds when i start over.
id like to do a larger batch and get them all done in 1 go.

does anyone know anywhere hastings way that would process and dress say 100 chickens please when im ready.
i want to work out all the costings before i look at this.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
Re: poultry processing
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 08:17:47 am »
Cant help with location but how many did you start with and what are you doing with them? If you're not processing them who is? Will they help with a second batch?

Your best bet is to ask local independent butchers and see if they will take them for you.

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 09:47:15 am »
ive got shot of the original birds to another small holder. its simply i want o do it again and pay someone to process and bag up so i can freeze the birds.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 04:57:50 pm »
ive got shot of the original birds to another small holder. its simply i want o do it again and pay someone to process and bag up so i can freeze the birds.

Today's *cost-effective* poultry processing by a butcher/processor is surely about volume (and mechanisation).  There was a time when chicken was more expensive to buy than beef - as many here will recall - but that was before chicken butchering/processing "factories" came into being !  If one needs (and can find) a local butcher who is prepared to process a relatively small number of birds, the resulting carcasses are not going to be the cheapest means of filling the freezer I would suggest !! 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 05:11:57 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS