Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting a Tup  (Read 1117 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Getting a Tup
« on: September 07, 2022, 04:45:50 pm »
Off to look at and hopefully buy a tup tomorrow a bloke has 3 texels for sale
   I am planning on keeping him in a 2 acer paddock with a small shed and hay rack ,
  I have a wether to go with him to , what feed will he need if any ? And dose he 100% need the wether or could he live alone?

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Getting a Tup
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 04:57:16 pm »
He will definitely need a friend as it would be cruel to keep him on his own for 10 months of the year. Of course, the wether will need to join him when he's with his ladies as it would also be unfair for the wether to be alone while the tup is working. The breeder will be able to advise as to what he's being fed currently - best to keep him on a similar regime so he doesn't melt. Good luck :)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 06:52:05 pm »
Definitely 100% needs a friend. Until this year my 2 rams lived happily together once they’d been reintroduced after tupping and shearing. Now I’ve a 3rd ram and they seem better again.

Don’t feed them, don’t pet them, don’t turn your back on them, keep them within an arms reach at all times. You and the ram need a mutual respect for each other and don’t be afraid to show him who is boss.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 07:54:28 pm »
Thanks for replys the man has 26 rams for sale and has separated the the 3 I can afford am taking my sheep friend with me to hopefully show me the best one ha ,
   They are registered and come with paperwork and the chap selling them seams nice and genuine he has some for sale at 1000 pluss !

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 08:00:35 pm »
A pic

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 08:59:14 am »
Make sure you do NOT choose the one with the biggest head and shoulders, if you want to raise lambs for the table and don't need to send the lambs off straight off their dams.

Large heads and shoulders = lambing difficulties and quite likely C-sections. Especially if you use smaller ewes.

Ask about worming status (and better ask the farmer to dose him there and then before you leave, check his worms a week later (to make sure you do not introduce resistant worms), and also ask about vaccination staturs and possibly MV status.

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 09:00:48 am »
Regarding feed, it's important to ensure that any cake you feed is ok for rams as they can get problems with crystals blocking their urine if fed some ewe nuts. The key thing is the ratio of two minerals, but I can't recall exactly which ones, but the feed should say what animals it's suitable for.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 10:49:57 am »
R.e worms- dose with a quarantine wormer (zolvix or starter) on arrival and keep in for 48 hours. Don’t rely on what the farmer says they’ve wormed him with as you don’t know if their farm has resistant worms which you could inadvertently bring onto your ground.

If you do feed you need to choose one with ammonium chloride in- normally lamb finishing pellets include it. And check mineral buckets- as they need a calcium:phosphorus ratio of greater than 2:1. But if your ram is not covering a lot of ewes he shouldn’t need any feed. If the farmer has stuffed them with feed I’d walk away.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 10:51:39 am by twizzel »

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 11:52:06 am »
They look nice but the trims and numbers on their side suggest that they are unsold from a sale so maybe ask why they didn't go...could simply be they didn't get to their reserve but if they were rejected following a society inspection or similar then you will want to be on alert.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 01:34:29 pm »
I did ask about the numbers all the rams have numbers on he had them all valued,  although he did have 2 witch had been all done up and had die put on them that did not make the reserve at malton sale ,

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 09:19:02 pm »
Picked up our tup today,  my friend was very pleased with them ,
   Kids have called him Terry just hope he is fertile! Breeder says we can have our money back if not ,
  Not the best picture

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2022, 08:36:43 am »
Better pic

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS