Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Christmas Cakes..... ambient storage ideas.  (Read 1475 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Christmas Cakes..... ambient storage ideas.
« on: September 07, 2022, 10:55:42 am »
Mainly Christmas Cakes but my fruit cakes, heavy with the booze and made with butter, wrapped in paper and shoved in lock & lock and kept until necessary!

Now, price cap or not, our dual fuel tariff finishes in November and whilst we're paying less than £100 a month currently, I want to make several fruit cakes for "nibbling" so to speak.

I use a fab recipe that is semi boiled first, cooled down, wack in syrup, eggs, flour, shove in tins then bake etc. Originally it was meant for 1 big cake tin but I now split it between 2 or 3 depending on which tins I am using and how much extras I have shoved in.

My problem is storing them. My 8 litre air tight box has 3 in at the moment, a 7 inch round, 5 inch square and a loaf cake (loaf tin makes a nice long fruit cake).

I don't have freezer space due to it being full of beef (yay Effy!! NEVER thought she would fill it with being a little shortarse so was really surprised she did, took 4 days down on Superfreeze too!) My other freezers are all full too as we need to keep chicken in stock for the dog.

I have only ever ambient stored fruit cake, but always in airtight containers like lock & lock.

Has anyone ever used tins or sweet tubs or any other type of container that isn't classed as air tight?

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Christmas Cakes..... ambient storage ideas.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 07:08:41 pm »
We always used old quality street tins, in the days when they were a good size.  My mothers cake tin was a tin with cake written on the lid and that used to store parkin in for months.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Re: Christmas Cakes..... ambient storage ideas.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 04:18:59 am »
We always used old quality street tins, in the days when they were a good size.  My mothers cake tin was a tin with cake written on the lid and that used to store parkin in for months.

I remember those days and those tins! So far have got 6, an additional 3 to the ones mentioned above. I went rummaging under a cupboard, pulled out my tea/coffee supplies, several packs of biscuits, dried milk (we buy in bulk here) and recovered a lock/lock round cake carrier that after disturbing everything, discovered it would only hold 2 cakes, so the 3rd was put with the others (it was a tala mini loaf size).

I have also bought a systema 9.6l click tub (it was an Amazon deal, £4 off!) I am currently watching an Addis 10l. If that comes down, I'll nab it!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS