Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs very lose  (Read 1814 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Lambs very lose
« on: August 26, 2022, 07:36:19 pm »
I weand my lambs maybe 2 weeks ago all was going well I moved them to a small paddock with good grass on Monday to day 3 out of the 6 was very down and had very sloppy back ends will it just be the fresh grass or something else?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Lambs very lose
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 08:29:09 pm »
If they have come from a field with nit much grass and they have just been separated from the ewes/dams, then yes I would say it is probably the grass plus stress. I would get them inside overnight and feed hay to help them dry up, fill them up with hay in the morning and then let out for shorter times until they are more used to it.

If they are listless and not looking right, then I would also check their temperature, pneumonia can also be accompanied by diarrhoea - I have found this to be the case in my goats (both youngstock and adults). If they have a temperature, then a shot of Alamycin LA (antibiotic) may be necessary.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 09:00:07 pm »
Thanks yes they was not much grass and they is lush grass were they are but have been in the new feild for 3 days now

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2022, 04:14:56 pm »
Been back to sheep and one is in a very bad way the lady of the house who's feild they in come out laffing saying that yesterday morning they ate a bag of chicken corn,  is they anything I can give them ?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2022, 05:32:58 pm »
Been back to sheep and one is in a very bad way the lady of the house who's feild they in come out laffing saying that yesterday morning they ate a bag of chicken corn,  is they anything I can give them ?

Sounds like a bad case of bloat, not surprised if they have eaten a bag of corn. I would get in touch with a vet, as you may need to reverse the acidosis quickly. No guarantees they will make it...

I would not leave my lambs in that field...

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 05:37:38 pm »
I’d get the vet for it, it’s probably got acidosis.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 05:56:30 pm »
Been to vet he have me some charcoal stuff told me to mix it with cooking oil ones dead ( the best one of course) told me to dose again at 10pm then again in morning,  2 of them look very bad,  just wish she'd of rung me and told me yesterday,  kids are gutted

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 07:08:37 pm »
Move the rest of them out of the field, I’d not trust her again. For 2 pins I’d send her an invoice for the costs incurred and value of the stock lost  :rant:

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 08:10:46 pm »
Think am done with sheep  I tryed but it's hard not having any were of our own , the best bit of grazing is getting built on next year, 

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 08:28:46 pm »
I am so sorry, but there are often problems with renting ground, esp if it is short-term and renting from non-farming folk...

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2022, 08:21:05 am »
The 5 remaining lambs are still alive gave them another dose of the charcoal stuff they is lots of wheat in there muck now iv left them in with just hay and water

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 09:41:04 am »
The 5 remaining lambs are still alive gave them another dose of the charcoal stuff they is lots of wheat in there muck now iv left them in with just hay and water

Yes, no grass or any concentrate. Fingers crossed they pull through.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 06:32:01 pm »
Fingers crossed for them, and you. What a horrible experience. Really feel for you, you have been trying so hard.
How the hell did they get access to a bag of chicken feed anyway?

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2022, 06:39:17 pm »
Fingers crossed for them, and you. What a horrible experience. Really feel for you, you have been trying so hard.
How the hell did they get access to a bag of chicken feed anyway?
She left a shed door open,  I don't get how she was just watching them stretching out on her front grass she even told me that one was laid down kicking the water bucket over she just thort it was funny I don't think she knew it was dieing but still just a quick phone call or something,  to make it worse knacker man said it was fit enough Togo and I should of toke it last week

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2022, 08:08:02 pm »
Best get the rest booked into abattoir asap then. Once they are fit enough to go.

And don't rent from that person again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS