Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Naughty GOS's! Most pigs gone!  (Read 2057 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Naughty GOS's! Most pigs gone!
« on: December 10, 2010, 03:30:06 pm »
So ... mixed feelings! The 6 pigs were booked in on monday. Sunday evening we backed the trailer into the field, had lots of help with boards to form an alley for them. The Cornish Blacks were no trouble at all, didn't lok twice at the straw covered ramp and went straight in to have their dinner! The 2 GOS's? Different story!

After 2 hours we gave up and they are now booked in for this monday coming. We have several friends coming to help and have staked wooden posts into the ground to give a bit more resistence this time (unable to because of the icy ground last week!). Fingers crossed they are a bit more cooperative this time! >:(

On the plus side, the blacks are at this moment being picked up from the butcher so it's pork for tea this evening! :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Naughty GOS's! Most pigs gone!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 05:22:12 pm »
Oh dear Loosey,
fraid GOS are notorious for being stubborn awkward sods, best tip if all else fails is to put large trug or dustbin over face and reverse up trailer ramp (pigs that is not you!! ;D), a few pig nuts help!
For some reason they automatically start to reverse when their face is covered.
Will keep fingers crossed for MOnday both for loading and good weather.
best Mandy (fellow GOS keeperfor her sins!!)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 06:51:54 pm »
Agree with FF -  GOS's are lovely pigs, until you want to move or load them !

Good luck !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 07:25:57 pm »
So maybe I've been lucky with mine?  :D
Remember the pig loading mantra: food, food, food! ;)  Put the trailer in Sunday morning if you can, with breakfast in it.

Good luck and enjoy the pork,

Eve

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 05:35:30 am »
Thanks all! Bit worried that they'll know what's on this time but will wait and see! Food just didn't cut it last week but I've been training Daisy so hopefully she might be able to show them the ropes!!

We've had a roast leg of pork which was lovely and our sausages have been a huge sucess.

I'm on nights right now and was a bit disappointed when OH told me it was venison and not pork for tea this evening!! ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS