Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do you keep your goats under control and fenced in?  (Read 9953 times)

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: How do you keep your goats under control and fenced in?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 10:37:26 am »
Always wise also to have the strand of wire about 2' up and 2' in as described as it prevents the goats doing their favourite trick of pushing and rubbing against the wire and weakening it,also they can't climb up the wire ;)  (If you've got AN's...ferget it!!!!!)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 05:08:01 pm »
just looking at your (gorgeous ) picture again Jinglejoys. how do you keep the kids in? they appear to be quite a bit smaller than the lower wire?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 06:05:05 pm »
   I think the fence you are refering to(In front of the kids?)is one of the inside fences so they can escape underneath away from my mules.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 06:07:05 pm »
I see!
was just wondering as we will obviously having to modify our fencing when out own 4 legged kids arrive!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 04:08:27 pm »
Our pgymies have no fear  of electric fence and will get out because the grass is greener on the other side! It is connected directly to the mains and is above and below stock fencing. I gave up trying to keep them in and life became a lot easier. All the goats and sheep have total freedom and there is no more "other side" mentality which the pygmies have. They can get out into the lane if they want to, but since the new Anglo Nubians came they have stopped this too. These Nubians have the most wonderful spring in their step I am glad I am not trying to stop them jumping as it would be 8ft fencing all round. I do have heras fencing to stop them getting into the veg patch. Tethering is horrible.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

princesspiggy

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 06:58:40 pm »
whats heras fencing?

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 07:27:53 pm »
whats heras fencing?

Heras fencing is the mesh panel fencing used to keep the public off building sites - you see it all over the place.

John

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 10:14:46 am »
Cheers for all your ideas, I thought it was expensive fencing the sheep in - double the cost with the little goaties then!?

I think they are too attached to us in the house here - your right they do think they are part of the family :)

Ta

Baz

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 03:05:51 am »
Trying to dehumanise them at the mo - poor little girlie's!!

They have been in the shed (bigger than our house!!!) for two days with little time running around after us at feeding time - I kinda miss their annoying taps on the window that makes the dog bark, when they stand on the windowsill and gaze in, whenever we went outside they were always on the door step regurgitating and laying on the path for us to fall over.

I wont miss the ripped bin bags, eaten garden, crap on the doorstep, piss on the tractor seat, vehicle keys missing/eaten from everything, relentless dog barking from noise outside every second, every telephone wire bite - infact anything that was not edible was chewed and what was had gone - when its over!

Cant risk a trailer at the moment to get bigger posts and fence to ring fence them in cos the weather, but hopefully we will have them contained soon :)

Baz

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 10:28:26 pm »
I do find it odd that most people have to have more than standard stock fencing to keep their goats in. We never have trouble with ours escaping really, and we just have standard sheep fencing, with a single strand of wire along the top (non electrified). Some of the field's boundaries is the garden fence, but it is just fenced with a slatted wooden four foot fence. It might be the fact you have 2, and they are looking to you as the flock/herd. We have enough (too many) that they are one big herd.

That said, in the past we have had great escape artists.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS